Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESA and Umbrella integration

Pravar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have ESA C670 appliances with AMP and Cisco Umbrella. Would like to integrate the ESA with Cisco Umbrella in order to enhance the protection in all possible ways and utilize the service offerings from Umbrella.

Is there any guide/document or URL reference for such integration?

7 Replies 7

Umbrella is 2 things... DNS, and a cloud proxy... there isn't an email relay that I can see...

I guess you could point the ESA to look at Umbrella's dns servers.... but really, why? 

The ESA's core is based on the Senderbase data, which ought to be more or less synced with the Umbrella data. 

The "data protection services" that Umbrella provided are all already on the ESA (AV, AMP, antispam, yada yada...)

I thought that Senderbase was purely for SMTP sending reputation, and that the URL database for WSA and AMP customers was something else?

We see a lot of malware spam using URL shorteners (bit.ly, tinyURL et al). I've followed some of these and have seen two or three hops through neutral web sites until a landing zone is reached.

There's also similar mail with links to booby-trapped documents in OneDrive, Dropbox et al.

In both of those scenarios, to what extent does a sandbox like AMP traverse these redirections?

Senderbase is SBRS and WBRS.  WBRS feeds the URL scoring for ESA.

AMP is separate.  File Reputation (AMP) and File Analysis (Threat Grid).  On the roadmap for AMP is the ability to take URL scoring into account, but currently AMP on ESA is not capable of scanning a document for a URL that takes end-user interaction in order to detonate a malicious URL.

URL filtering taking into account URL shortened links is also roadmap for ESA.

-Robert

Thanks for the info, Robert. Good to see you back on the forum again!

:)  Libin and Dennis do such a good job, I have lost my position!

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Umbrella Team had informed us that there is no integration available for any MTA including ESAs and it is not best practice.

Looking at an additional protection by leveraging the Cisco Umbrella by pointing the DNS from ESA as well as any other protection it can complement on ESA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: