cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESA billing@delivery-806738.info wildcard

ccna_security
Level 3
Level 3

hi. is there any way to configure esa to block such domains with wildcard?

I want to block only email coming from billing@delivery-806738.info (806738 is random number and frequently change)

esa didn't let me write down as billing@delivery-*.info   do you have any suggestions?

I crated dictionary and added billing@delivery-*.info inside it but I don't know whether it will work or not. I cant test it. please help me to solve this issue

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's fine, off the top of my head I thought it didn't add the extra slash in the GUI, but it does on checking.
Plus I used the Trace command under System Administration to check that the Content filter matched.
You didn't need to escape the @

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Not tested, but you could just replace the address in the rule with your personal email address to validate.

Dictionary
^(?i)billing@delivery-.*\.info$

CLI Message Filter
block_sender: if (mail-from == "^(?i)billing@delivery-.*\\.info$") {
drop();
}

Content Filter
Sender > Equals > (?i)billing@delivery-.*\.info
This will appear in list as ^(?i)billing@delivery-.*\\.info$

Thank you so much. I will test it tomorrow and will turn you back about the result. Please if possible could you send me a link that teach how i can use wildcard on different email 

Use Regex101.com - below link contains your search and permutations
https://regex101.com/r/73c37m/3/

Note that \. ensures that the domain separator dot is treated as a dot.
Otherwise regex treats this as any character.
This can be important at times.

Note that there is a strange behavior where the CISCO ESA Message Filters created via SSH console require double escapes, whereas in the GUI (Content Filters / Dictionary) they do not.

Message Filter - ^(?i)billing@delivery-.*\\.info$

Your answers are so helpful. I really appreciate that.

I added to content filter->Equal-> .*\@delivery-.*\.info

But when I clicked ok is is shown as ^.*\\@delivery-.*\\.info$    Do you think this is normal behavior?

I tested with own gmail account. b.doyskiy@.*\.com esa blocked I mean worked as expected. Hope will block above email as well.

That's fine, off the top of my head I thought it didn't add the extra slash in the GUI, but it does on checking.
Plus I used the Trace command under System Administration to check that the Content filter matched.
You didn't need to escape the @

Thank you Paul. I really appreciate your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: