Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESA understanding issue

muhammadaswad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

1. Could someone help me is there any different between Email Blast C390 Appliance with C390 IronPort ?

2. Is there any method/way we could calculate the performance per second in Mail Queue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Muhammad,

D-mode can be used on all boxes i believe - but it requires that feature license to be purchased.

Please note once you activate D-mode license on a device - you cannot change it back unless you factory reset the entire device and lose all data on it.

Per your query with capacity - yes these are common use cases for bulk emailing - however 1,000,000 emails of 128kbs over a day vs 100,000 emails of 10MB over a day are widely different and may see different issues arise potentially.

Just an FYI.

Thanks,

Mathew 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Muhammad,

1. Could someone help me is there any different between Email Blast C390 Appliance with C390 IronPort ?

To be honest I haven't heard of the Email Blast type device - i imagine this is a device on the D-Mode license vs non D-Mode - which basically means do we want to do full mail hygiene scanning or not. Email Blast (D-Mode) would be useful for mass bulk emails where you do not do any form of scanning and good for email blasting. Once you enable D-Mode though - if you won't be able to turn it off i think and you cannot do any security scanning so please keep this in mind.

2. Is there any method/way we could calculate the performance per second in Mail Queue?

There are sizing guides which our sales guys would use when you do share the type of mail flows you may see - but this is just capacity guidance - email sizing and queue would definitely vary on the type of emails and sizes etc.

Regards,

Mathew

Hi Mathew,

To be honest I haven't heard of the Email Blast type device - i imagine this is a device on the D-Mode license vs non D-Mode - which basically means do we want to do full mail hygiene scanning or not. Email Blast (D-Mode) would be useful for mass bulk emails where you do not do any form of scanning and good for email blasting. Once you enable D-Mode though - if you won't be able to turn it off i think and you cannot do any security scanning so please keep this in mind.

Thank you for the explanation of the device mode. Are all ESA appliances capable to use  D-Mode?

There are sizing guides which our sales guys would use when you do share the type of mail flows you may see - but this is just capacity guidance - email sizing and queue would definitely vary on the type of emails and sizes etc.

The type of mail flows was for sending email since the appliance will be using for marketing purpose, means the customer will send one email to a lot of customers.

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Muhammad,

D-mode can be used on all boxes i believe - but it requires that feature license to be purchased.

Please note once you activate D-mode license on a device - you cannot change it back unless you factory reset the entire device and lose all data on it.

Per your query with capacity - yes these are common use cases for bulk emailing - however 1,000,000 emails of 128kbs over a day vs 100,000 emails of 10MB over a day are widely different and may see different issues arise potentially.

Just an FYI.

Thanks,

Mathew 

Hi Mathew ,

Noted and Thanks for this Cisco ESA  knowledge

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: