cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Ironport ESA - Security Services / Scan Behavior - Impact on AV- & Spam-Scanning?

Linuxy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the administration guide for the ESA (v. 11.1) states:

"You can control the behavior of body and attachment scanning, such as the attachment types to be skipped during a scan by configuring the scanning parameters. Use the Scan Behavior page or ... Scan behavior settings are global settings, meaning that they affect the behavior of all the scans."

So I am wondering, if this settings only apply to the Attachment-Scanning of content-filters, or also to the AV- and Spam-Engines?

Thanks and best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Linuxy,

Scanconfig command controls body and attachment scanning in filters only.

The scanconfig command controls the behavior of body and attachment scanning, including specifying the encodings to use when scanning attachments and which attachment types should be skipped when scanning.

The scanconfig command sets these parameters:
1) MIME types of video/*, audio/*, image/* or anything that appears to be a PDF file are skipped (not scanned for content).
2) Nested (recursive) archive attachments up to 50 levels are scanned. (The default is 5 levels.).
3) The maximum size for attachments to be scanned is 25 MB; anything larger will be skipped. (The default is 5 MB and Value must be an integer from 0 to 26214400)
4) Attachments that were not scanned are assumed to not match the search pattern. (This is the default behavior.)

Reference article: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118119-qanda-esa-00.html

For AV and AS engines, you can have the scan settings configured separately as below:

Antivirus
Login to GUI of ESA and follow the below path:
Security Services-->Anti-Virus-->SOPHOS/McAfee--> Edit Global Settings

Antispam
Security Services-->Anti-SPAM-->Ironport Anti-spam/IMS--> Edit Global Settings

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pratham

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

pchakra2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The scanconfig related settings apply to only Filters (Content or Message).

The AS and AV, engines have their defined threshold to be configured under the respective security services. 

Hi @pchakra2 

Ok, thanks, and what applies this setting to then?

Best regards 

Hello,

If I understood you correctly, you asked where to the scanconfig thresholds apply.

The scanconfig related threshold applies to Filters (Content and Message).

Best Regards,

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Linuxy,

Scanconfig command controls body and attachment scanning in filters only.

The scanconfig command controls the behavior of body and attachment scanning, including specifying the encodings to use when scanning attachments and which attachment types should be skipped when scanning.

The scanconfig command sets these parameters:
1) MIME types of video/*, audio/*, image/* or anything that appears to be a PDF file are skipped (not scanned for content).
2) Nested (recursive) archive attachments up to 50 levels are scanned. (The default is 5 levels.).
3) The maximum size for attachments to be scanned is 25 MB; anything larger will be skipped. (The default is 5 MB and Value must be an integer from 0 to 26214400)
4) Attachments that were not scanned are assumed to not match the search pattern. (This is the default behavior.)

Reference article: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118119-qanda-esa-00.html

For AV and AS engines, you can have the scan settings configured separately as below:

Antivirus

Antispam

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pratham

@ppreenja wrote:

Antivirus

Antispam

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pratham

Hi, sorry for bringing this old topic back to life, but I just wanted to increase the file size limit for the antivirus scanner. We are on AsyncOS 12.5 and the global settings for the AV scanner don't contain any options for file size. Where exactly do I set this in 12.5?

Thanks

Hi , Currently, all attachments are scanned by the AV engines irrespective of their size and there is no option available to configure scan scan size for AV. There is already an enhancement request in place for the same as below: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuv03680 Please add yourself to the notifications once any fix is in place. Cheers, Pratham

Hi @ppreenja,

thanks. If all attachments get scanned, regardless of size, why do we get alerts from our ESA that files could not be scanned due to large file size? I looked at the bug that was posted earlier in this thread, but that bug does not seem to apply to AsyncOS 12.5+. 

Thanks

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

The alert you get for ESA file could not be scanned due to large file size might be for antispam engine as we usually see the same error there.

For your query on the enhancement not mentioning your Async OS version, the enhancements usually mention the Async OS version for which it was reported and usually covers all the Async OS version later than the one which is mentioned until we have the new feature in any latest version.

I hope the above answers your query.

Cheers,
Pratham

Yes, that explains it, thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: