Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Irontport ESA Delivery Issue

Justin Acera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having an issue with my ESA. Message Tracking logs says that message was delivered to recipient but recipient did not receive the email. I don't know why the email doesn't get delivered to recipients mailbox. Do i need to change something on my mail server?

test.JPG

I am having zimbra as my mail exchange server.

Anyone's help is highly appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

shane.dollery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Justin,

I assume the message was Inbound, if so I'd check the smtp logs in Zimbra to confirm it was delivered. Most times in our environment missing emails are due to either client side rules or our internal transport level AV product.

Cheers,

Shane.

Hi Shane,

Yes. message is Inbound. Outbound messages have no problem. I will try to check with our Zimbra mail sever. As we just deployed Zimbra from scratch I think all configurations are by default. When we try to change firewall policy to forward smtp traffic to Mail server, delivery is successful but when we try to forward smtp to ESA before mail server that when the delivery fails. 

Performing a grep for the delivery connection should confirm what IP the email was handed off to.

grep "DCID 30" mail_logs

Once this is confirmed you would need to confirm what action was taken on that server for email accepted from the ESA.

Regards,

Libin

Hi Libin,

I did the following you suggested. It points back to my ESA Internal Interface Private IP and the NAT'ed ESA ip with port 25. From message tracking the last the result given was indicating a Message Loop. Could this be causing the issue?

Thanks,

Justin

Likely so, please ensure under Network -> SMTP Routes you have entries for internal domains pointing to the server these emails need to go to.

Without SMTP Routes, ESA would use DNS and based on MX records would send email to the public IP pointing back to the ESA.

Regards,

Libin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: