Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Filter to check for Reply-To mismatch is always triggered

Hi:

I have a strange issue that honestly I don't know how to solve.

Before opening a case I'm asking here to check if anybody can shed some light on it, I guess the problem is me.

In default policy I have a content filter with the following rules (both of the conditions must be true)

Other Header Reply-To exists

Header Reply-To does not equal $envelopesender

And actions:

Log

Quarantine-duplicate

Add Disclaimer text

Whenever I enable this filter in the default policy ALL of the messages with a reply-to header match the filter and get duplicated to quarantine and disclaimer text added, no matter if the reply-to is the same or different to the envelopesender

I tried several things like use "does not contain" instead of "does not equal" and using $envelopefrom instead of $envelopesender, but without luck. Is there something obvious I'm missing? I've seen examples of doing this everywhere, and it sounds to me that it's correct

Another test I did is to put the content filter in another policy, and apparently it works fine, it's happening when the filter is in the default. Any idea?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just received the answer from TAC: apparently it is not supported, because in message/content filters the system cannot compare two variables. 

Would you do me a favour and check if this effectively working in your environment? I honestly don't know what to think, because this is something I've considered possible for some time and not it surprised me a lot. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

marc.luescherFRE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Miguel,

our working sample is like this :

GUI_Check_From_ReplyTo: if (rcpt-to == "marc.luescher@fmc-na.com") AND (header("reply-to")) AND (header("reply-to") != "^$envelopefrom$") { add-heading("External_Warning_ReplyTo"); add-heading("External_Warning_ReplyTo_Fields"); insert-header("X-Ironport-Spoof", "yes"); }

Please check and let me know if that helps.

-Marc

Marc:
Thank you, but this is more or less what I’m doing, and I can’t make any sense of it. Simplifying to the maximum:
GUI_REPLY-TO-FLT2: if (header(“reply-to”)) AND (header(“reply-to”) != “^$envelopefrom$”) {
add-heading(“REPLY-TO_MISMATCH”);
}
Message filter and content filter look like they are doing the same, it always matches and add the disclaimer as long as it has a “reply-to” header, second condition is always matched, no matter if it’s true or not.. ☹
It looks like the comparison is not made with the machine readable part (the one between <>) but with the literal string that comes from the reply-to header.
I’m going to try with a regex that matches exactly what is coming in the reply-to header, and see what happens

What are your settings in mail policies / mail policy settings.

Do you have P1 and P2 visible ?

I have P1 = Envelope Sender and P2 = Headers (From, Reply-To, Sender)

what ESA Release are you running ?

13.5.1-071
I found this in production when the customer spotted a lot of false positives. Now I'm using a lab in dcloud, but the behavior is the same.

It does not matter priorities, the only thing I can come to is the following:

Have sender "someguy@domain.com" 

Sends from Outlook and inserts header Reply-To: Some Guy <someguy@domain.com>

When message arrives, filter compares "someguy@domain.com" (the $envelopefrom variable) with "Some Guy <someguy@domain.com>" and fails, so the rule is true and all the conditions match.

I just tested the following: configure second rule to compare estrictly to "Some Guy <someguy@domain.com>" instead of $envelopefrom and now it matches, so second rule it's false and won't insert the heading ... It's very strange for me. 

let me think about this as we use the same sw version in production and it is working as expected

Thank you very much, that will be very helpful. In the meanwhile, this is the last test I've made. I inserted a couple of variables in the disclaimer text to try and see what's going on:
Plain Text Version:
REPLY-TO MISMATCH
SENDER: $EnvelopeFrom
FILTER:$Filtername
HEADER: $header['reply-to']
Then I send a message with the following reply-to header:
Reply-To: Peter Griffin peterg@dcloud-out.cisco.com
And I get the following message:
REPLY-TO MISMATCH
SENDER: peterg@dcloud-out.cisco.com
FILTER: GUI_REPLY-TO_FLT2
HEADER: Peter Griffin
As you see, out of the address in the header, the filter it's only taking the display address, not the machine readable part between <> so it's impossible that they match

I just received the answer from TAC: apparently it is not supported, because in message/content filters the system cannot compare two variables. 

Would you do me a favour and check if this effectively working in your environment? I honestly don't know what to think, because this is something I've considered possible for some time and not it surprised me a lot. 

Hi Miguel,

Were you able to find a solution for that?

I am trying to compare mail-from (sender address) with from header, to advertise end user if both are different.

Impossible to compare (as if ESA does not understand the $envelopefrom variable in may filter)

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: