Views
Helpful
Replies

Count recipients from a specific list

Isaiah
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I have two logical classes of recipient address: "groupthese" and "dontgroup".  If an email is sent to multiple recipents from "groupthese", I would like those to be consolidated down to a single address.  It is ok if the address they are consolidated to is statically designated.  Recipients from the "dontgroup" class should not be consolidated or affected in any way, even if on the same message.  Can I accomplish this somehow?

Note that it is not the total recipient count, but only if the number of recipients from a specific list (class) is greater than one that action should be taken.

Using recipient policies to splinter the message into the two classes, and then the rcpt-count filter condition to determine the number of recipients from that class seems like the perfect solution to me.  Except that the rcpt-count condition is only available in CLI message filters, which happens prior to the policy splintering.  If only rcpt-count was a content filter condition...

Using dictionaries to define the classes of recipient addresses would also be an option, but it doesn't look like threshold conditions for headers are possible either...

Thanks!
Isaiah

4 Replies 4

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm unsure what action you are planning on taking after consolidating the email addresses for the group.

ESA considers each email address separately and does not take any actions to consolidate them in any way.

You would need to have the email addresses to be part of a distribution list and that can be expanded by the exchange servers as multiple email addresses within it at a later stage.

Regards,

Libin

Hello Libin,

My use case is this: I work for an eCommerce company, and customers email in orders all the time.  Often times customers will send their message to every address they know at my company.  We would like to recognize this and deduplicate it, to avoid the confusion created when multiple different departments aren't sure who is working on what.

So we have no control over what addresses get sent to, and I am not sure how creation of distribution lists can help in this situation.

Isaiah

My chain of thought would be to have the customer email a distribution list of the eCommerce company, ensuring only a single copy of the email passes through the ESA.

The email would still be delivered to the entire team who are part of the distribution list and they would need some form of tool on their end to keep track of who is working on what.

But as for the ESA, we consider each email separate and would deliver it to the mentioned recipients.

No, you've got it backwards. We cannot control the customer. Them sending it to multiple recipients is already against our wishes. That is why when they do that we want to reduce the number of recipients down to a single one. We want to take many and consolidate it to one. Not take one and split it into many, like a distribution list would do.

Isaiah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: