cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Customizing Notifications

dspweb001
Level 1
Level 1

If this has been answered before, forgive me. The search feature of this forum is way outdated and makes it hard to find what you're looking for.

Anyway, our CEO received a message from Ironport today like this:

Date: Thur, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
To...............etc....

What he would like to see is a more descriptive subject and to change the FROM to something that makes more sense to the user so they KNOW it came from our domain and is not a spam message

(silly, I know, but its the CEO so who can I complain to).

We have a C100 Ironport device, how do I edit this and other user messages that the Ironport generates? Not just for this part of the message but the whole message. For example if I wanted to edit the message text as well. All I have found in the ironport GUI is a place to edit the return address of several system generated messages (THIS NOT BEING ONE OF THEM).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Andrew Wurster
Level 1
Level 1

You can tweak all sorts of stuff. Quick how-to below:

1) Make a new notification template. You can put anything you want in here and include different automatic fields (hint use "Insert Variables").
MAIL POLICIES > TEXT RESOURCES > NEW > type "Bounce and Encryption Failure Notification"

2) Create new bounce profile OR assign this new message you created to the default bounce profile. Here you can choose your new text resource and change the subject lines and so on.
NETWORK > BOUNCE PROFILES >DEFAULT or Add Bounce Profile

3) Set or verify that your bounce profile is enabled on the listener
NETWORK > LISTENERS > EDIT > chose the appropriate "Bounce Profile"

4) Set the FROM address:
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION > RETURN ADDRESSES > EDIT > Bounce Messages

Happy customizing.

Andrew

I have more difficult problem. I receive a lot of messages with ID in Subject. I must notify sender that i have received messages and my notification must contain ID. If i use notification template sender receive notifications with subject "Message Notification". How to solve it ?

The notification template allows you to use certain $variables. With them you can use the $subject to reference the original subject in your notification.

Check : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa12-0/user_guide/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_12_0/b_ESA_Admin_Guide_12_0_chapter_010110.html

section Using Text Resources

to get subject use $header[‘Subject ’]

I hope that helps

Marc