cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Degraded RAID on IronPort C160

carsten.hasse
Level 1
Level 1

Our IronPort C160 has a degraded RAID. How do I identify the bad hard drive and if I replace it will the RAID rebuild itself? Opening a TAC case is not an option.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunatley - the hard drives in the C160 appliance are not hot swappable.  You would need to open a support case through TAC, and have the appliance RMA'd - if it is still under contract.  Starting with the C170 - the drives are hot swappable.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

The C160 is not under contract because of an oversite between the reseller and our admin at the time renewal was due.

You could always open a dialoge with your Sales Ops/Account team - and see if they can bring the appliance under contract. 

But - aside from that - we would not be able to provide information as to which drive, as we would not support opening the appliance, as this would void any contract/warranty... and we would not be able to validate any hard drive replacement on the appliance due to hard drive vendor differences.  Any actions to replace the hard drive may result in operational loss of the appliance.  You would be at your own risk in doing so.

-Robert

When I tried to open a TAC case I was told the C160 was past its "last date of attach" and to get it supported again would be difficult. I've got a few emails and voicemails into our account team to determine how difficult it would be. I'm not expecting an answer today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

you should be able to renew the contract for the C160. The last date to renew contracts is July 2016 with End of Life in 2017. You can find the hardware product life cycle for the Email Security Appliances here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/ironport/c_x_series_life_cycle.html

Regarding the drives, Robert is correct. Once you have renewed support, please open a TAC service request to replace the appliance with a C170. Replacing single drives on the C160 is unfortunately not supported.

Cheers,

Sebastian