Views
Helpful
Replies

Delaying delivery to a single domain

securahosting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to delay delivery to an individual domain for a specified period of time? I'm migrating a domain to a new mail server and would like to hold any new email on the IronPort until I tell it it's ok to deliver to the new SMTP route.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a SMTP route to that domain you can specify a dummy address for delivering. After the migration you can specify the right address.

Thanks Peter - good idea.

You can point to a non existent address or host name as a temporary measure. The messages will soft bounce to the dummy address / domain, depending on your delivery configuration.  With the defaults it would typically be 3 days before the messages hard bounced.  Once you get the correct IP or hostname in the SMTP route, I would recommend issuing the commands;

dnsflush

delivernow, then choose the destination domain to deliver to. 

This will help speed things up on the initial delivery attempt.

Christopher C Smith
CSE

Cisco IronPort Customer Support 

What about just setting up a quarantine to hold the e-mail for 30 days or so...  then once the recipient system was back online you could release a couple of messages to see if things are working properly and then do a release all and inactivate the filter that sent the mail to the quarantine.

Just an idea.

Jason Meyer