cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deliberately delay relaying email to next hop\destination?

Morser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  an odd question I know.  We are retiring a Cisco 370 appliance.  It has been replaced by a group of C390s.  For technical reasons, we could not transfer all IPs\Hostnames from the old environment to the new one because my company network design has changed greatly. 

Is there a way to configure the ESA to hold onto emails for x minutes before relaying to the next hop?  For legacy reasons and past decisions before my time, we cannot identify all the systems sending to this ESA which we have officially classified as replaced.  We want to get people's attention. 

We are already considering Header and Footer additions to the body of the messages as well as a planned temporary outage. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Morser,

Is there a way to configure the ESA to hold onto emails for x minutes before relaying to the next hop? For legacy reasons and past decisions before my time, we cannot identify all the systems sending to this ESA which we have officially classified as replaced. We want to get people's attention.

We cannot delay it for X amounts of minutes through a specific command but can be done with some configuration changes. This will work if you wish for the device to attempt a delivery once to hit the soft bounce timers; then with that you can delay it using a bounce profile by X amount until next retry.

So what you would do is create a new bounce profile and set the first attempt timer (usually 60s) then set the timer for next attempt and subsequent attempts; where your limit could be 100 attempts or several days to withhold an email.

Then apply this bounce profile to your destination controls.

However if you wish to have more strict controls - i would say to log into your GUI > System Admin > Shutdown/Suspend and suspend deliveries out.

Once you're ready to - you can resume deliveries. This will not incur bounces or potential NDRs and give you that control.

Making sure you only suspend deliveries and not the listeners; else you will deny accepting emails.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you,

Mathew