cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS List and SBRS None, One or the other

kbrown.it
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup DNS Lists to do a DNS Blocklist in Ironport. An issue I keep running into is some of the IP's that are on the DNS Blocklist keep coming up with "sbrs[none] SBRS None". It appears that it is one or the other with the SBRS and DNS List (meaning either match the SBRS or the DNS List), so if it doesn't have a SBRS then it will not do the DNS Blocklist check and ends up hitting UNKNOWNLIST (which has a check box checked for None under SBRS). If I check that under the BLACKLIST, or a new one I created without any SBRS numbers listed, it will block all of the SBRS None without even checking it against the Blocklist. Is there a way to force the Ironport to check the DNS List and continue to the next rule if it is on listed even if the site has a SBRS of None?

We are running a C100V on Version 10.0.3-004. DNS are internal and looking at Root DNS Servers.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hey Kbrown.it,

How is that setup working for you at the moment?

Logically if the sender is matching the DNS list and SBRS has no score (or has [none]) and there's no sendergroup which you had ticked the 'match if none' then it should fall into the DNS list sendergroup.

Regards,

Mathew 

View solution in original post

Hello kbrown.it,

The 'none' box should not be checked by default, it would have been a manual intervention to enable that check for a Sender Group.

Regards,

Matthew

Hey kbrown.it,

I suspect the query sent out to the DNS list or senderbase side is having some issues.
I queried 23.254.159.227 for an SBRS score and its at -5.7 (poor range) and as you can find it in the DNS list it would signify that it is also within the list.

Are you able to monitor DNS traffic with a packet capture on port 53 (udp and tcp to be safe) and verify if we're getting responses for the queries from ESA.

Regards,
Matthew

18 Replies 18

kbrown.it
Level 1
Level 1

An example is IP Address 151.106.29.231. Below is what I see in mail.current:

Fri Apr 27 11:11:09 2018 Info: New SMTP ICID 3710080 interface Public (172.30.XXX.XXX) address 151.106.29.231 reverse dns host unknown verified no
Fri Apr 27 11:11:09 2018 Info: ICID 3710080 ACCEPT SG UNKNOWNLIST match sbrs[none] SBRS None

Looking in Talos, it has a poor Email Reputation (https://www.talosintelligence.com/reputation_center/lookup?search=151.106.29.231). If you look at the Blacklists, you see it says Not Listed next to sbl.spamhaus.org (in my DNS List, I am using zen.spamhaus which checks sbl, pbl, and xbl all in one list). When you click the link for sbl.spamhaus.org, it says the IP is listed in sbl (https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/151.106.29.231).

I am not sure what log to look at to see if I have issues with DNS lookup.

Hello Kbrown.it

Which Sendergroup did you add the DNS list into if i may ask?
I suspect the "none" results which is being seen due to lack of SBRS lookup being done is taking precedence over the DNS list.

To see if you're having issues on DNS lookup, you can check the system_logs on the ESA and verify if there are server issues on connectivity.

Thanks,
Matthew

Mathew,

I put the DNS List into the BLACKLIST Sender Group. I did change the DNS settings a little bit, instead of using our Internal DNS it is now using the Root DNS Servers (that change was done this morning 4/30). I put in an override for our Internal DNS Servers.

I also setup a Sender Group without a SenderBase Reputation Score that has the DNS List as well and is set to Block as well.

Hey Kbrown.it,

How is that setup working for you at the moment?

Logically if the sender is matching the DNS list and SBRS has no score (or has [none]) and there's no sendergroup which you had ticked the 'match if none' then it should fall into the DNS list sendergroup.

Regards,

Mathew 

Waiting to see what our Security Analyst see coming through email. A number of IP's they gave us were on block list, so that is why we are trying to use a block list to stop those from coming in.

We do have a group that has none checked. I am not sure if it is default or not, but it is the UNKNOWNLIST. See below:

Order) Sender Group - SenderBase Reputation Score - Mail Flow Policy - DNS List

1) WHITELIST - Not in Use - TRUSTED - None

2) DNSBL - Not in Use - BLOCKED - Spamhaus and Sorbs DNS List

3) BLACKLIST - -10 to -3.0 - BLOCKED - Spamhaus and Sorbs DNS List

4) SUSPECTLIST - -3.0 to -1.0 - THROTTLED - None

5) UNKNOWNLIST - -1.0 to 10 and None - ACCEPTED - None

Default) ALL - Not in Use - ACCEPTED - None

With this setup, I see the block list hitting on DNSBL (which is fine), but I also see blocks happening at BLACKLIST when it does have a SBRS and is not listed on the block list (this is also fine). If they aren't listed in the WHITELIST, then they are hitting on UNKNOWNLIST (and rarely on SUSPECTLIST). For the most part, the setup is default (except for the DNSBL), but I don't know if the None for SBRS in UNKNOWNLIST is default or if that is something that was added. I am guessing if I remove the SBRS None from UNKNOWNLIST, then it should hit on the default ALL Sender Group (I am guessing) if there is no SBRS correct? I guess I am not sure why having the SBRS None checked on a Sender Group that is later in the list will cause the block Sender Groups to be skipped if it matches an IP on the DNS List (unless it runs through the HAT multiple times).

Hello kbrown.it,

The 'none' box should not be checked by default, it would have been a manual intervention to enable that check for a Sender Group.

Regards,

Matthew

I removed the SBRS None from the Unknown, but it still doesn't do DNS List Lookup on IP's that do not have a SBRS number with it. I just had one come in that is listed on Zen.Spamhaus.org (https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/23.254.159.227) and the Ironport let it through because of the SBRS None (see below).

Wed May 2 09:58:42 2018 Info: New SMTP ICID 3732932 interface Public (172.xxx.xxx.xxx) address 23.254.159.227 reverse dns host unknown verified no
Wed May 2 09:58:42 2018 Info: ICID 3732932 ACCEPT SG None match ALL SBRS None

As I mentioned before, if the SBRS is None then it does not check the DNS Lists. Last time I marked the BLACKLIST with SBRS None, most of the emails were hitting it. I believe it will be better now since I am using root DNS look ups, but it is still one or the other (either hitting SBRS None or has a SBRS and gets caught by the DNS List).

Hello kbrown.it,

Currently is your ESA able to query these dnslists configured?

Can I get an output of the DNSlist configuration inputted as well.

Thank you,

Matthew

Yes, it is able to query the DNS List. I have seen emails blocked by the rules with the DNS List in it, but they had a SBRS number as well. Below is the DNS List I am using:

zen.spamhaus.org, nomail.rhsbl.sorbs.net, bl.spamcop.net, cbl.abuseat.org

Again, here is an example of one passing the DNS List in the BLACKLIST and DNSBL (Custom) HAT Sender Groups (WHITELIST is 1st, DNSBL is 2nd, and BLACKLIST is 3rd, details were posted in an earlier post).

Wed May 2 09:58:42 2018 Info: New SMTP ICID 3732932 interface Public (172.xxx.xxx.xxx) address 23.254.159.227 reverse dns host unknown verified no
Wed May 2 09:58:42 2018 Info: ICID 3732932 ACCEPT SG None match ALL SBRS None

And here is one that was blocked by DNSBL:

Wed May 2 09:57:08 2018 Info: New SMTP ICID 3732912 interface Public (172.xxx.xxx.xxx) address 31.172.89.144 reverse dns host unknown verified no
Wed May 2 09:57:08 2018 Info: ICID 3732912 REJECT SG DNSBL match dnslist[zen.spamhaus.org] SBRS -1.9

This is also a good example of the DNSBL rule I created as the SBRS is not in use in that rule, otherwise this would have been hit by the SUSPECTLIST (SBRS -3.0 to -1.0). Between the two logs, the issue is that the one that is passing the DNS List does not have a SBRS listed with the IP Address (not sure if it failed to get it or truly does not have one). According to Talos, it is poor so it should have a SBRS number. Talos also says it is on bl.spamcop.net. A check of sbl.spamhaus.org confirms it is also on it's list (even though Talos says it is not, and this is covered by the zen.spamhaus.org DNS List). I checked Talos for the one that did get caught and it had a poor score as well and listed in bl.spamcop.net (again, not listed in the sbl.spamhaus.org even though that is we caught it).

Hey kbrown.it,

I suspect the query sent out to the DNS list or senderbase side is having some issues.
I queried 23.254.159.227 for an SBRS score and its at -5.7 (poor range) and as you can find it in the DNS list it would signify that it is also within the list.

Are you able to monitor DNS traffic with a packet capture on port 53 (udp and tcp to be safe) and verify if we're getting responses for the queries from ESA.

Regards,
Matthew

I can, but it will be a little bit before I can test. I did have the timeout set to 0, so I increased that to 20 (which I think is the default).

Where can I look up the SBRS? Talos just says Poor, Neutral, or Good.

Hey kbrown.it,

On your ESA if you go to System Administration > Trace

You can run a trace (insert the IP and fill the rest with dummy info) and your device will do a lookup to retrieve the SBRS information.

As someone within Cisco I can access and run a query from our internal tools.

Thanks,

Matthew

Alright, I didn't know about that. Thank you.

I still see some coming in with SBRS of None (but the test you provided me returned a SBRS for the IP), but I did see one that said it had an SBRS of None and got caught in the DNSLIST filter (it was on zen.spamhaus.org BL).

As for the DNS, I haven't done a packet capture, but I did see this a lot in the Ironport System Logs (for different domains):

Warning: Received an invalid DNS Response: rcode=ServFail data="'\\xc6\\xe2\\x80\\x02\\x00\\x01\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x00\\x03www\\ntradepress\\x03com\\x00\\x00\\x01\\x00\\x01'" to IP 216.136.95.12 looking up www.tradepress.com

I am not sure if that is normal or not, but I checked some of the IP Address where I got a SBRS None and I didn't see them in the list. I also checked it against one that was on the black list and got through on the 2nd with a SBRS of None, it was also not listed in the System Log.

Hey kbrown.it

Invalid DNS response could either be the DNS query is being intercepted/malformed on arrival to your ESA hence the data showing up the way it is, or genuinely the DNS server in question wasn't able to return a result and sent that.

To verify if the ESA is even doing a DNS query to the DNSBL would require a pcap at the timing of this event occurring - but if SBRS is none (for some IPs with SBRS score) then it leads me to believe there's something happening on DNS queries side.

Regards,
Matthew
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: