Views
Helpful
Replies

[ESA] Bug during upgrade from 13.5.3-010 to 14.0.0.682

abk04
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently tried to upgrade my ESA (virtual appliance) from 13.5.3-010 release to the latest GD release 14.0.0.682/

Once i download the stuff, and try to install , few seconds after i have the following kind of error (attached an extract) 

I already tried this : 

- retry (2/3 times) => failed

- reboot appliance ( 3 times) and retry => failed

- make more space available ( > 50 go avaialble) - reboot and retry => failed

- tried the same on another ESA virtual applaince which host the same config => failed

I've seen on forum some people experienced this issue with previous release (https://community.cisco.com/t5/email-security/upgrade-esa/td-p/4031552 ) , which has not been my case. it seems they succedded after several times of reboot/retry.

did someone already experienced this issue with this release or another one , and find or received a explananation/answer from support? 

Best regards,

16 Replies 16

The solution in the TechNote stated it should be 4 GB in order to upgrade [1]. So, I was just curious if it got adjusted with the upgrade. I've been building new systems using a 13.x image and nextroot is 4 GB.

[1] "To ensure your virtual ESA/SMA can be upgraded, you would need to first check if the next root partition size is 4GB with the CLI command ipcheck."

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To clarify, the fix from the defect is just a stop-gap. Essentially, some files/directories were optimized to allow the upgrade up to 14.0 to complete successfully. However, the issue will return when upgrading to future builds if your virtual ESA or SMA has a nextroot partition size of less than 4GB. If it is less than that (I believe the old images are 300M-500M), then the only complete solution is to deploy a new VM and RMA the older image. If you need to RMA, do note that you'll want to deploy an AsyncOS 11.x or newer image as I believe that is when the partition sizes were modified in the template. 

We're working on putting together a field notice with this information as well.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: