cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA Release 8.5.6 message filter (CLI) syntax

joshuaclark2014
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me with the following syntax on a message filter?

IHSpam: if (mail-from-dictionary-match("IHSpamBlock", 1)) AND (rcpt-to == "@domainname.com") {
                insert-header("X-IronPort-Quarantine", "Yes");
            }

The portion I need help with is the "AND (rcpt-to == "@domainname.com")"

I need to know what the syntax to use for looking up every incoming email that CONTAINS @domainname.com. The logic is, any email that is incoming that is destined for @domainname.com (changed for security) WHICH is from a dictionary list containing email addresses that I pre- populate (I want to be blocked) will be directed to the ISQ (SPAM quarantine for the receiving email address).

The rule works fine when I use the == but that will only match a FULL email, I need to know what the syntax is to look up a CONTAIN field for the domain name.

Thanks in advance, and trust me, I searched and researched Cisco and google forums numerous times trying to find the answer BEFORE posting.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Joshua,

I'm glad the responses on the forums have helped out :)
To add to this filter if you decide you want to add in more domains for matching you can use this rcpt-to syntax

AND (rcpt-to =="(?i)(@domain\\.com|@domain2\\.com|@domain3\\.com)$")

The \\ is to escape the regex -> .

The | is the pipe for the OR clause within the list of domains.

(?i) is case insensitive so someone can't use recipient@dOmaIn.com to bypass your filter syntax.

Regards,

Matthew

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Looking at the doc, I'm wondering if one of the following would work:

(rcpt-to == '@domainname.com')                            <-single quotes

(rcpt-to == '@domainname.com$')                          <-$ is regex for "ends with"

Thanks, I am going to try this and see if it works, the worst that happens is I have to redo the filter:

(rcpt-to == '@domainname.com$')                          <-$ is regex for "ends with"

I ended up using this syntax and it is working, thank you very much. I am now able to add keywords or domains I want to block (using two separate filters) and divert them to the end users quarantine:

IHSpam: if (subject-dictionary-match("IHSubjectSpamBlock", 1)) AND (rcpt-to =="@domain.com$") {
            notify ("my@domain.com");
            insert-header("X-IronPort-Quarantine", "Yes");
        }

Hey Joshua,

I'm glad the responses on the forums have helped out :)
To add to this filter if you decide you want to add in more domains for matching you can use this rcpt-to syntax

AND (rcpt-to =="(?i)(@domain\\.com|@domain2\\.com|@domain3\\.com)$")

The \\ is to escape the regex -> .

The | is the pipe for the OR clause within the list of domains.

(?i) is case insensitive so someone can't use recipient@dOmaIn.com to bypass your filter syntax.

Regards,

Matthew