Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA support for STIX/TAXII API

Dhanesh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Does Cisco ESA solution has support for STIX/TAXII API ?

20 Replies 20

Awesome!! That worked - Thanks for your help Marc!!

Does the message tracking detail indicate if a message was blocked due to matching criteria on a content filter / HAT list with external threat feed input?

I'm asking because I would like to create a validation plan in my test environment to see how the threat feeds are affecting traffic.

Not by default. I add a log entry in the content filter so I can see that info in the log.

You need to do some manual work for this to be easy for you. But first a warning, a lot of the free STIX/TAXII feeds are not the quality they should be. I would not take any decision only based on the results of a STIX /TAXI feed base don experience. Some of the better paid ones can be fully trusted.

Create three Policy Quarantines

TrapURLTAXII

TrapURLDomain

TrapURLFiles

then create content filters like :

TrapURLTaxii: if (url-external-threat-feeds (['HailATaxii_7days'], "", 1, 1)) { duplicate-quarantine("TrapURLTAXII"); log-entry("--TrapURLTAXII--"); }

TrapDomainTaxii: if (domain-external-threat-feeds (['HailATaxii_7days'], ['mail-from', 'from', 'reply-to'], "Domain_BypassList")) { duplicate-quarantine("TrapDomainTaxii"); log-entry("--TrapDomainTAXII--"); }

TrapFileTaxii: if (file-hash-etf-rule (['HailATaxii_7days'], "")) { duplicate-quarantine("TrapFilehashTaxii"); log-entry("--TrapFileTAXII--"); }

That way you can test in production without impacting life traffic.

Now you can either look at your hits in the 3 quarantines or grep the --string-- in mail_logs using CLI.

I hope that helps

-Marc

Hey Marc,

Would you be willing to name the good ones?

Ken

I will move deeper into using APIs/OS later. But to reply your query - this became mainly consumer API/OS associated page. Not so much approximately opening up and growing OSS for community and network API.