cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESAv Boot Issues

Michael Bale
Level 1
Level 1

I downloaded the latest ESAv appliance, and installed it on a ESXi 6 installation (which I have done a few times in the past) using "Deploy OVF Template".  I made the changes to the advanced configuration for the timer.

When booting, I am getting: 

FreeBSD/x86 boot

Default: 0:ad(0p3)

boot:

gptboot: No on 0:ad(0p3)

I had this problem when trying to get it to work on KVM but I never had a problem on ESXi until now.

EDIT: I used an older image I had lying around from previous install and it booted fine.

Old image (works): 9-7-0-125

New Image (boot issue): 9-7-1-066

5 Replies 5

Rehan Latif
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Per vESA deployment guide, ESXi 6 is currently not supported. Have you tried it on 5 or 5.5?

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/content_security/virtual_appliances/Cisco_Content_Security_Virtual_Appliance_Install_Guide.pdf

Regards,

Rehan

No, but 6 worked fine for earlier versions and if you use earlier version and do an upgrade to latest.  It is only the latest one that doesn't work as is.

Hi Michael,

I cannot say why it works with other versions and not this and at his time we cannot test this under on ESXi 6.

Above said, you can try below command on "boot:" prompt:

0:da(0p1)/boot/loader

Seems like it is trying to boot from a partition that is not either valid or not a boot partition. Once you get it working, I would recommend opening an SR with TAC and provide them remote access tunnel to make the changes permanent.

I hope this will help.

Regards,

Rehan

could you share the image cisco ESA pls