cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how virtual gateway works?

Alibek Ismailov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i don't understand exactly how Virtual Gateway on Ironport works?

I configured the second IP interface on ironport with IP-address of DMZ zone and the second public listener.

On DNS i have 2 mx-records for Ironport.

How Ironport would appeal to the second mx-record?  by hostname on IP interface?

If on DNS would be 1 mx-record with 2 IP-addresses for Ironport, would Ironport sends from 2 IP-addresses or It needs 2 mx-records?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Valter Da Costa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa8-5-6/ESA_8-5-6_User_Guide.pdf

Virtual gateways

The Virtual Gateway technology enables users to separate the appliance into multiple Virtual Gateway addresses from which to send and receive email. Each Virtual Gateway address is given a distinct IP address, hostname and domain, and email delivery queue.

For more information, see “Using Virtual GatewayTM Technology” in the “Configuring Routing and Delivery Features” chapter. 

Cisco ESA (Email Security Appliance, former Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance) will use the DNS resolution of the MX records in order to try delivering the messages. That is the primary choice. If none MX record is found, then ESA will try the A record. If there is a SMTP route, though, that will take precedence. 

To answer you directly, then, it will depend on the DNS algorithm (round robin). That will provide ESA with the answer for the MX,A query. Based on that, it will make the decision about which destination server (hostname,ip address) to communicate in order of trying to deliver the message.

With the SMTP route (which is a manual configuration) you could have ESA to equally deliver messages to the destination servers. We know DNS algorithm is not even.

To answer your question about multiple IP addresses (A record) associated with one host name in the MX record, that will then fall under DNS algorithm. ESA will query for the hostname and wait to get a response from the DNS server. That IP address will be used by ESA to make the connection for delivering the message.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

-Valter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Valter Da Costa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa8-5-6/ESA_8-5-6_User_Guide.pdf

Virtual gateways

The Virtual Gateway technology enables users to separate the appliance into multiple Virtual Gateway addresses from which to send and receive email. Each Virtual Gateway address is given a distinct IP address, hostname and domain, and email delivery queue.

For more information, see “Using Virtual GatewayTM Technology” in the “Configuring Routing and Delivery Features” chapter. 

Cisco ESA (Email Security Appliance, former Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance) will use the DNS resolution of the MX records in order to try delivering the messages. That is the primary choice. If none MX record is found, then ESA will try the A record. If there is a SMTP route, though, that will take precedence. 

To answer you directly, then, it will depend on the DNS algorithm (round robin). That will provide ESA with the answer for the MX,A query. Based on that, it will make the decision about which destination server (hostname,ip address) to communicate in order of trying to deliver the message.

With the SMTP route (which is a manual configuration) you could have ESA to equally deliver messages to the destination servers. We know DNS algorithm is not even.

To answer your question about multiple IP addresses (A record) associated with one host name in the MX record, that will then fall under DNS algorithm. ESA will query for the hostname and wait to get a response from the DNS server. That IP address will be used by ESA to make the connection for delivering the message.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

-Valter

I have Ironport c170 model with 2 network adapters, so i can create only 2 VG or more?

With the new version, 9.0 (which is currently available for our ESAv - ESA virtual) you don't have a limit and don't require license to over 200 IP addresses. If you have your C170 using version prior to 9.0, you will be limited to 4 IP addresses.

Please visit:

https://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=282509130&i=rm

And select: Email Security Virtual Appliance.

From the Release Notes (which you can download from the same page) you will see:

I hope that helps.

Regards,

-Valter

eng.malak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

is the virtual gateway supported on the virtual edition "ESAv" ?

Yes. It is. Pretty much everything that we have on hardware device is support on virtual. Exception for NIC Paining. Which we dont support on ESAv. I am quite sure we have another feature which is not support on ESAv only, but I can recall now. I will update the thread once I find it and if I dont, will update the thread also. 

Hope that helps.

-Valter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: