Replies

IRONPORT Alert Messages

SupportAC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are receiving the following messages from the ESA:

The Critical message is:

"An application fault occurred: ('encodings/__init__.py search_function|100', "<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>", 'Module name too long', '[egg/omh.py queue_worker_thread|3717] [egg/omh.py process_item|4055] [egg/omh.py pass_spamcheck|6224] [egg/omh.py update_url_reporting_info|4786] [egg/filters.py get_web_info|1554] [egg/i18n_support.py valid_encoding|237] [python2.6_9_amd64_nothr/codecs.py getdecoder|930] [encodings/__init__.py search_function|100]') MID: 47418946

Version: 9.7.2-065
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Timestamp: 17 Jan 2017 15:43:14 +0100

To learn more about alerts, please visit our Knowledge Base.  In many cases, you can find further information about this specific alert.  Please click the Knowledge Base link after logging into our Support Portal at:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/support/index.html

If you desire further information, please contact your support provider.

To open a support request for this issue, access the IronPort C170 and issue the "supportrequest" command. The command sends an email with diagnostic information directly to Cisco IronPort Customer Support to facilitate a rapid diagnosis of the problem.

Thank you"

Anyone know what this message means? We did note any issue on the behaviour of the device...

Regards,

Aitor

5 Replies 5

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aitor,

I was unable to locate a specific defect for the mentioned application fault.

We would need to review the mail_logs and gui_logs on the appliance to determine the conditions that led to the error. 

I would recommend opening a TAC case to get that investigated.

Thanks

Libin Varghese

Is there an answer to this problem?

TAC referred me to the following bug, https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCux68212

Robert, perhaps I should post the entire error we are seeing, which may be different.

The Warning message is:

Invalid SimpleFilter: Our_Message_Filter_Name rule: <filters.Subject_Rule instance at 0xb62f2950>('encodings/__init__.py search_function|100', "<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>", 'Module name too long', '[egg/filters.py process|11235] [egg/filters.py eval|2433] [egg/i18n_support.py decode_header|434] [egg/i18n_support.py _decode_header_helper|413] [egg/i18n_support.py cvt_to_unicode|279] [egg/i18n_support.py valid_encoding|236] [python2.6_9_amd64_nothr/codecs.py getdecoder|930] [encodings/__init__.py search_function|100]')

The max size of subject is currently at 1048576. I am not sure why it is set so high. The PDF guides nor the help specify the default setting, and I am reluctant to change the value, especially to 998 given the current value.

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually, this is new defect just filed:

CSCvd89770 -Application fault from too long subject charset

Workaround ---

WebUI: Network > Listeners > Maximum size of subject: 998

It is recommended to set the maximum to the RFC 6532 limit of 998 regardless of this defect.

Changing this setting will change the ESA's behavior in response to these message to "552 #5.3.4 message subject header size exceeds limit."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: