Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort C195 Alert, Some unknown certificates will expire

Edward YU
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

In my Email Security Gateway (IronPort C195), I just installed the self-signed certificates and did not enable the TLS. Recently I received the warnings like:

Your certificate "CA:Admin-Root-CA" will expire in 89 day(s).

Your certificate "CA:DST Root CA X3" will expire in 59 day(s).

I do not know where these certificates locate and why the warnings pop up. How can I solve this problem?

Thanks everyone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edward YU

Are you on OS 14.0 ?
If yes, then…

There is a minor defect in the behavior of the certificate store.
The certificate store holds numerous intermediate and root certificates for worldwide Certificate Authorities.
The defect is that the expirations of the old certificates should be transparent, and a minor coding error revealed them.
Now the alerts have become a small nuisance to receive the alerts.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/secure-email-gateway/217221-esa-understanding-custom-ca-list-certifi.html

Thank you,
Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Edward YU

Are you on OS 14.0 ?
If yes, then…

There is a minor defect in the behavior of the certificate store.
The certificate store holds numerous intermediate and root certificates for worldwide Certificate Authorities.
The defect is that the expirations of the old certificates should be transparent, and a minor coding error revealed them.
Now the alerts have become a small nuisance to receive the alerts.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/secure-email-gateway/217221-esa-understanding-custom-ca-list-certifi.html

Thank you,
Chris

I understand, thank you!

Those certs are in the root cert bundle that ships with the ESA.
You can see them by clicking on Network/Certificates, then at the bottom of that page, click on the "Manage Trusted Root Certificates" button.
These are here so that if you're sending mail, requiring TLS and requiring verification, the ESA can do that.
I suspect that Cisco will update the bundle soon and your ESA should go get it... but it's not there yet.

You can safely ignore this message... but if its too annoying, open a TAC case.

Yes, you are right,

Cisco surely will update the bundle, as they write in the following link (the link charella post above):

"The system CA certificate bundle is updated automatically after upgrade and periodically, expiration of certificates in the custom list do not impact the working of certificates in the system list."

Thank you for your reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: