cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem opening encrypted email attachments

Ray Mitchell
Level 1
Level 1

We have experienced numerous issues with email recipients being able to open encrypted email HTML file attachments.  Also having issue once an encrypted email is open to be able to then open attachments to that email (excel, pdf).

Has anyone had similar issue and found a good solution?

5 Replies 5

Todd F
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same problem and its become a real issue.  Numerous complaints from external partners that cannot open attachments we send them.  They can login to CRES, see there is an attachment there, but it doesn't open.  Sometimes I open the attachment in google chrome if IE doesnt work, sometimes it doenst matter what browser we use, it wont work correctly.  I think/wonder if this is due to recent java changes.

We did disable the use of the "java applet" in the encryption settings which seems to have helped some, but I still get issues reported every few days.  I'm thinking it is PC or Network security settings at the remote site, but difficult to get local resources to support investigation.

Have you talked with Cisco support at all?  I may open up a ticket with them but I have done that before on this issue and dont really get anywhere because often times we cant duplicate the issue.  Most of the time I have our internal user send me the same email to my external account and I can open the attachments just fine.  

Where do you disable the use of the "java applet" in the encryption settings?  I may try that out.

I have logged several tickets with Cisco TAC and "of course" it works for them, as well as it works for me and most other people.

The use of the Java applet can be disabled on the ESA under -

Security Services / Cisco Ironport Email Encryption / Email Encryption Profiles

Click on the Profile Name - Go to Advanced Section and uncheck the "Message Attachment Decryption" option to "Use Decryption Applet".

We did not notice any significant delay in the opening of the encrypted attachments.

Great, thanks for the information, I may give that a try.  I will try it and monitor feedback, I know we send some large attachments, in the 20MB to 30MB range.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: