Views
Helpful
Replies

Rejected by receiving control?

jape0002_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!
I have an issue where printers using the internal SMTP on our ESA gets blocked with the error "rejected by receiving control".

If I check I can see that the host in question has sent around 50 emails. All with the same envelope sender but different recipients. But that is below the limit configured. The same envelope sender is configured on other printers as well. But if I search for the sender it is still below the limit.

What could be causing the rejection? Could it be a count for all machines within a sender group?

As a note it seems like that the host in question can send mail again after being moved to another sender group. 

We have limits on:

host rate limit (recipients per hour)    (200)

rate limit for enevelope senders (recipients per day)  (500)

flow control off

Incoming connection (ICID 1) has sender_group: Local_networkprinters, sender_ip: 10.1.1.2 and sbrs: not enabled
Protocol SMTP interface SMTP (IP 10.10.10) on incoming connection (ICID 1) from sender IP 10.1.1.2. Reverse DNS host myserver.com verified yes.
(ICID 1) RELAY sender group Local_network SBRS not enabled sender IP 10.1.1.2 country not enabled
Message 4 Sender Domain: mydomain.com
Start message 4 on incoming connection (ICID 1).
Message 4 enqueued on incoming connection (ICID 1) from printer@mydomain.com
Message 4 direction: outgoing
Message 4 on incoming connection (ICID 1) to  donald.duck@mydomain.com was rejected by receiving control.
Message 4 aborted: Receiving aborted by sender
Message 4 Delivery Status: ABORTED
4 Replies 4

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The Rejected by Receiving Control messages would be your ESA throttling the incoming connections based on the parameters you have set in the Mail Flow Policy, which is then tied to whichever Sender Group that the host/sender is hitting (Local_network in your example log). You would need to review the mail logs and/or message tracking to dive deeper into how many messages are coming through for this host/sender and then compare them to the throttle settings you have within your Mail Flow Policy, and increase them if need be.

These counts would be specific to each ESA.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Thanks for the tip. Those were my first thoughts as well. But if I check envelope sender and number of recipients I´m well below the limit. And the host have not reached the limit either. 

So there is something else that blocks it. The logs only states rejected by recieving control. 

I was wondering if it could be some kind of looping problem since the email should return to ESA after going thru the SMTP. So that the numbers get doubled somehow?

It's possible that you're just overlooking a setting. Make sure that you're also expanding all the little arrows next to the blue text on that page as some stuff is tucked away from default. 

If it's not obvious, you may want to open a TAC case and we can help take a closer look at the logs. 

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

I will take look and open a case if I cant find anything obvius. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: