Views
Helpful
Replies

Sender group and policy for specific domain

rodrigo.arroyo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

For a specific sender domain, I need to change the max. recipients per message, so I created a new sender group containing the domain (example.com) and a new mail flow policy where I changed the default setting (100 recipients) to 1000 recipients, but is not working.

When I track an email, is not using my new policy, is just using the default one (ALL - ACCEPTED).

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rodrigo

11 Replies 11

Take a look at tracking log for those messages, and see where the messages are actually coming from.

You probably want to try ".example.com"

But if they are using a mailing service (Emma/Constant Contact), or O365 the domain on the sending may not match the From Address.   In that case you'll need where its actually coming from in your sender group.

Ken

Thanks guys for your answers. The mails are comming from Office 365 (.outbound.protection.outlook.com) but if I add that domain I will permit 1000 destinations for every client using Office 365.

Is there a workaround?

Hello Rodrigo,

You could test using the Rate Limit for Envelope Senders 'Exceptions' list. (screenshot below)

You will still need to setup a custom Sender Group and Mail Flow Policy for this sender (.outbound.protection.outlook.com), but you can set a lower rate limit and then set the exception for your specific sender so they're not limited. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

ASyncOS 10.x for ESA - Setup Address Exception List

Hi Dennis,

Good answer! I just configured what you explained but I have another question: if I set the exception to ignore rate limit for address @example.com, the rate will be unlimited? or is defined somewhere else? I'm using 100 (instead of 1000) recipients for the Sender Group/MailFlow defined for Office365 and ignoring the rate for the specific domain.

Thanks in advance,

-Rodrigo

The listener config has an overall limit, so it won't be unlimited.

Hello Rodrigo,

The rate-limiting will then be ignored for that sender at the mail flow policy level and whatever global hard limits are set at the listener level will be applied. (As Ken also stated)

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Thanks everybody for your answers, we are testing now.

Best regards,

-Rodrigo

Was looking to do same exact thing with office 365 senders

Yes. You use the company's email address, not the outlook.com addresses

We have few vendors that send fairly decent volumes of email to us (they use office 365 and amazon). Their senders envelope doesn't matcht IP or rDNS. I whitelisted few IPs in HAT but their pool is fairly big so I was also looking into limiting outlook.com but allowing certain sender envelopes to come at higher mps. 

So as far as I understand I  can create sender group and put outlook.com there and assigned somewhat restricted policy but inside that policy add Addresses list to exclude envelope senders listed there from low mps which will make it unlimited to them (outside of the hard cap of listener) and low mps for outlook.com

I'm I understanding that correctly?

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Rodrigo,

To add to what Ken has stated ...The HAT/Sender Group portion of the ESA works off of the sending server IP/hostname, and not off of the Mail-From domain. You'll want to check the first line of the incoming connection via Message Tracking or mail_logs and use the 'sender IP' X.X.X.X and/or 'host' FQDN, and add those to the HAT/Sender Group list of senders. 

You can also use partial/wildcard hostnames. For example, if the sending server was smtp1.cisco.com, you could add .cisco.com as the sender. 

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: