cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMA Migration M380 to M695

Weiwen_17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am planning to set up a M695 as a target appliance. And using the command backupconfig to transfer data from source appliance (M380). I have questions regarding availability of services during backups. As from the documentations, during phase 2 of the backup, services on the source appliance are shut down. May I know the duration of phase 2? And Is it a manual trigger to phase 2 or automatic?.  As I need to plan for a downtime for the client's network. Much appreciated for the answers. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The duration needed for backup phases depends on the database size that is being backed up along with the network bandwidth between the two devices.

The first backup is usually longer since the complete database is backed up and could last for multiple hours, backups post that are incremental and would take less than an hour.

There is no manual intervention needed and the backup will work on its own till completion.

Regards,

Libin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The duration needed for backup phases depends on the database size that is being backed up along with the network bandwidth between the two devices.

The first backup is usually longer since the complete database is backed up and could last for multiple hours, backups post that are incremental and would take less than an hour.

There is no manual intervention needed and the backup will work on its own till completion.

Regards,

Libin

Hi Libin,

Thank you for responding. I will check on the database size. And keep this post updated for the outcome of the backup and migration.

Best Regards

Raymond

Weiwen_17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Libin,

I came across the Cisco documentation for switching SMA appliance. Making a Backup Appliance the Primary Appliance

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/security_management/sma/sma11-0/user_guide/b_SMA_Admin_Guide/b_SMA_Admin_Guide_chapter_01101.html#task_1760505

Step 6: Run the suspendtransfers and suspend commands on the old/primary/source appliance

My question is: On Step 6,  when the transfer of data is suspend on the old/primary/source appliance, what will happen to all the centralized services on the managed appliance (eg.ESA) during the transition?. Will the ESA enable local quarantine automatically?

Thank you.

Best regards 

Raymond