cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPF and altsrchost the hard way

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to share my expierence in getting into the world of SPF and altsrchost to help prevent someone else from hitting the potholes I did and to ask a question.

Situation:

We just recently deployed a TXT record on our public DNS to begin the setup of making our e-mail pass SPF verification.  Originally I was told to setup a TXT record for a different project.   Not knowing anything about SPF we set it up.   Long story short, it was a SPF1 entry and caused some SMTP servers to reject our e-mail because our IronPort appliances were not included in the entry.  To begin troubleshooting it I added MX to the SPF1 entry and did some testing of the entry and all was well, so I thought.   Turns out our IronPort appliances are using all public interfaces to deliver e-mail for this domain.  No problem, I had read about the altsrchost functionality and thought that it was perfect for setting IronPort to route e-mail from this domain only using the interfaces that are also setup as MX.    Wrong, once I set altsrchost to say only use these two public interfaces our IronPort appliances could not deliver e-mail that is sent from that domain from other internal systems back to our internal messaging system, because I just told it to only use these two public interfaces.  So, I cleared out the altsrchost and mail flow was fixed.  I did have a few hundred e-mails stuck in the queue that would not deliver because they were trying to still use that public interface (stuck in a queue or something).   I did get that cleaned up by just bouncing the e-mail, could not figure out a way to get it to not want to use only a public interface.

Question:

How can I get IronPort to only use specified interfaces to deliver e-mail on the public side but still allow it to use the private interfaces to deliver e-mail to our internal messaging system when it needs to?  The altsrchost command appears to only allow me to specify one interface.

We have two C660s running in a cluster.

Jason Meyer

1 Reply 1

viahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

You can use more than one alt-src-host action using filters. Please check the filter below.

if (recv-listener == 'OutboundMail' and rcpt-to == 'internaldomain\\.com')

{

alt-src-host('inbound1');

}

else

{

alt-src-host('outbound1');

}

You can add more filters with different conditions in case you want to use more than one interfaces.

We will be able to assist you better if you open support ticket and provide us your configuration along with your requirements.

Thanks,

Viquar

Customer Support Engineer