cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
520
Views
0
Helpful
7
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Subject tagging works, but now multiple Re's.

Hello,

We've enabled subject header tagging for emails from external senders. This works as expected. However, we're seeing stacking Re's in the subject which is causing issues with the conversation view in Outlook. I've attached an example of what this looks like.

The incoming filter looks like:

Condition: subject != "^\\[External\\]"

Action: edit-header-text("Subject", "(.*)", "[EXTERNAL]\\1")

We also have an outgoing filter that looks like:

Condition: subject == "\\[EXTERNAL\\]"

Action: edit-header-text("Subject", "\\[EXTERNAL\\]", "")

To be clear, I'm testing to a Gmail address which is not showing this behavior. Is it possible to adjust the filter as is to remove the stacking Re's?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I'm only really concerned with my people seeing stacking. I know... selfish. But... my latest test seems to do the trick:

subject != "\\[EXTERNAL\\]"

edit-header-text("Subject", "(.*)", "[EXTERNAL] \\1")

 

I also have the outgoing filter set to:

subject == "^(\\[EXTERNAL\\] Re\\:)"

edit-header-text("Subject", "(\\[EXTERNAL\\] Re\\:)", "(Re\\:)")

 

I guess the bad thing would be if an external sender is also tagging, my tag wouldn't work. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hello evanrust,

Remove that value on the way outbound.


* Outbound content filer

* Edit header
* Header Name: Subject
* Search and replace

* Search for: (?i)[(EXTERNAL\]

* REPLACE WITH:

* Leave the value blank to remove txt from the value.
I’m including an illustration if the forum permits. It might be stripped.
[p1365]


Thanks,
Chris A.

Highlighted

The syntax you provided isn't being accepted in the ESA. So, I've tried the below syntax on the outgoing filter:

edit-header-text("Subject", "(?i)\\[(EXTERNAL)\\]", "") = No change

edit-header-text("Subject", "(\\[EXTERNAL\\])", "") = No change

 

 

Highlighted

The issue is that you're removing the tag.



If I send you a message with a subject of "Let's chat", your Outlook sees

"[External] Let's chat"

You reply, and I get:

"Re: Let's chat"

I reply you get

"[External] Re: Let's chat" <-- note external is OUTSIDE the "re:"

You reply and I get

"Re: Re: Let's chat"



If you don't remove it, and you set content filter that stamps it to only add if the "External" marker isn't there it should look like this

(assuming I'm not stamping, or stamping some other way).



If I send you a message with a subject of "Let's chat", your Outlook sees

"[External] Let's chat"

You reply, and I get:

"Re: [External] Let's chat"

I reply you get

"Re: [External] Let's chat"

You reply and I get

"Re: [Extnernal] Let's chat"



Outlook can put the thread together but your Outlook is looking for "[External] Let's chat" as the base subject, which keeps changing... so it can't thread it.






Highlighted

That's not the behavior I'm seeing.

I see a message from you:

"[External] Let's chat"
I reply and you get:
"Re: Let's chat"
You reply and I get:
"[External] Re: Re: Let's chat"
I reply and you get:
"Re: Re: Let's chat"

You reply and I get

"[External] Re: Re: Re: Let's chat"

 

I turn off the outgoing filter all together and see:

I see a message from you:

"[External] Let's chat"
I reply and you get:
"[EXTERNAL] Re: Let's chat"
You reply and I get:
"[External] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Let's chat"
I reply and you get:
"[EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Let's chat"

You reply and I get

"[External] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Let's chat"

Highlighted

On a side note... this doesn't appear to be anything I can resolve in O365. So, there's got to be a way to set this up without any sort of stacking in the ESAs.

Highlighted

My example was based on only you stamping...

The other side is stamping it in all caps, not removing and not checking to see if it's been stamped before.



You could possibly try removing all copies of the [external] stamp, then adding one back, and then doing the same thing with "Re:"...

For threads that I start, that would work... for ones you start... I'm not sure.




Highlighted

I'm only really concerned with my people seeing stacking. I know... selfish. But... my latest test seems to do the trick:

subject != "\\[EXTERNAL\\]"

edit-header-text("Subject", "(.*)", "[EXTERNAL] \\1")

 

I also have the outgoing filter set to:

subject == "^(\\[EXTERNAL\\] Re\\:)"

edit-header-text("Subject", "(\\[EXTERNAL\\] Re\\:)", "(Re\\:)")

 

I guess the bad thing would be if an external sender is also tagging, my tag wouldn't work. 

View solution in original post

Content for Community-Ad