cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade esa 8 to 9 - config file doesnt import

joshuaclark2014
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know hoe to migrate from the latest current version of 8.5.6-113 (116) to the latest release of AyncOS 9? I tried the normal process of deploying the virtual image and importing the config but it errors on like every level for numerous reasons (to many to list).

I tried the config convertor but of course it does not recognize my ESA version. I really need to move to AsyncOS 9 for the obvious bug fixes but as of now, we are unable to unless I rebuild the config from scratch.

10 Replies 10

Awesome, thanks, I will follow it and let you know how it goes! I appreciate the time!

I followed the article to the T, but it will not allow me to join different versions of AsyncOS. Are there any tips on this?

Cannot join the cluster as the machine version (asyncos 9.1.0-032) does not match the cluster version (asyncos 8.5.6-116).

The version and release number must be exactly the same to make a cluster.

Its important to note, the cluster already exists, I was just joining the new version (9) to the existing cluster that has my config I need ported to version 9.

Also important to note, my trouble is that version 8 of the config file doesn't match and import to version 9 (not compatible). So if I cannot add a version 9 to a version 8 cluster, and I cannot upgrade a version 8 to version 9 (config file import issues), what else can I do other than building the configs from scratch which would take months?

But you can upgrade an 8.x box to 9 (minus hardware restrictions)...

What hardware is the physical box?

This is not for my physical SMA, this is my virtual ESA's so hardware shouldn't matter unless I misunderstand the question. The physical version of my SMA is M170.

I tried to import my VER8 config into the new VER9 ESA of a fresh deploy but failed miserably.

Can I upgrade from 8.5.6-116 (hot patch 5) to version 9 through upgrade paths? If so, how?

Yep. And you do it pretty much the way you upgrade a physical box.  (in the Gui: System Administration>Suspend/Shutdown to suspend the listeners, then System Administration/System Upgrade to download and upgrade)

I think there are issues with tying the VNL to your contract at Cisco Licensing, so you may need to open a TAC case.

Login to the VM via telnet/ssh, run "showlicense" grab the VLN ("VLNESAxxxxxx") and open a the case and ask for it to be provisioned for 9.0 

Thank you for the assistance, I opened a TAC last week just to get HOT PATCH 3/4/5 to show up which took almost a week for them to sort out.

I will do it again for upgrade 9 to show up. I wasn't aware version 9 was an upgradeable path from the current version, I thought only 8.5.X was.

I will open another TAC case to have version 9 show up, thanks again.

I ended up opening a TAC case to have the version 9 show up and did in place upgrades which retained my config and was able to re-join the clusters.

neb-ITOps
Level 1
Level 1

I wrote a short blog article with my own experiences and gotcha's when migrating from a physical to virtual appliance. I will link it below in case anyone finds it to be helpful:

http://emtunc.org/blog/03/2015/migrating-from-a-physical-ironport-esa-to-a-virtual-ironport-appliance/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: