cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using WinSCP with IronPorts

MARK SCHWANTJE
Level 1
Level 1

I have read some KB articles referencing the use of WinSCP with IronPorts. There is also a post on the community mentioning it as one of the top 10 3rd party tools. However, I cannot get it to work with any of our IronPort C-series appliances and neither can my co-workers. It accepts credentials but gets no further than "Starting the session..."

Is anyone successfully using WinSCP to copy logs and other files with the appliances? If so, can you explain what you did to get it to work?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bfaynebfayne
Level 1
Level 1

I was never able to get WinSCP to work either. It's been a while since I really dove into it but I believe WinSCP wants echo as a working command and just hangs without it when in SCP mode. The ESA does not do SFTP.

Putty has an scp client that will work. There is a KB article about it.

https://ironport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/677/kw/scp%20windows

It is possible to use putty to send an ls -la to get a list of files. Just tell it to never close the window so you can see the output.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bfaynebfayne
Level 1
Level 1

I was never able to get WinSCP to work either. It's been a while since I really dove into it but I believe WinSCP wants echo as a working command and just hangs without it when in SCP mode. The ESA does not do SFTP.

Putty has an scp client that will work. There is a KB article about it.

https://ironport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/677/kw/scp%20windows

It is possible to use putty to send an ls -la to get a list of files. Just tell it to never close the window so you can see the output.

Thanks. I opened a ticket regarding it, and I was told that it is not possible to use a GUI based SCP client with IronPorts. I find that a little strange because there are references to it in IronPort's KB. Additionally, there is a post on the forums here from a Cisco contributor that states that WinSCP is one of the top 10 3rd party apps.

Yeah, I rememebr that survey. It was several years ago and I remember it being worded a bit vaugely so people may have listed it just as something they use in general. Not sure how it passed the sniff test.

The graphical clients are pretty much set up for SFTP rather than true SCP. SCP alone does not allow for things like directory listings or removal of remote files.

Mike Hillhouse
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the FTP setting in WinSCP, but the SCP portion does not work.

Carl Armstrong
Level 1
Level 1

You can use regular FTP, but you have to enable it on the ESA.  Click on Interfaces and modify one of them and there is a check box for enabling FTP.