Views
Helpful
Replies

Validate recipient domain for outgoing email on ESA

rahmad_h
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any option to check or validate whether the recipient domain is valid or not ?

And then if domain is invalid, send bounce message to sender email ?

Edit :

After searching, the bounce message seems must be like this, but i don't see any option to verify recipient, only verify sender dns

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Rahmad

2 Replies 2

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking, but I'll try to answer:

For outbound mail, the other sites will typically refuse mail for accounts that don't exist during the mail transaction, and your ESA will bounce it back.  The issue is not everyone does it early (eg during the receive) and not everyone will bounce it back, they could just dump it.

You could use SMTP call ahead, but I'm not sure if that applies to you...

Taken from the help:

The SMTP call-ahead recipient validation feature queries an external SMTP server before accepting incoming mail for a recipient. Use this feature to validate recipients when you cannot use LDAP Accept or the Recipient Access Table (RAT). For example, suppose you host mail for many mailboxes, each using a separate domain, and your LDAP infrastructure does not allow you to query the LDAP server to validate each recipient. In this case, the Email Security appliance can query the SMTP server and validate the recipient before continuing the SMTP conversation.

You can use SMTP call-ahead recipient validation in order to reduce processing on messages for invalid recipients. Typically, a message for an invalid recipient progresses through the work queue before it can be dropped. Instead, an invalid message can be dropped or bounced during the incoming/receiving part of the email pipeline without requiring additional processing.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your answer and my apologize for my unclear question.

So let me put some example :

i want to send email to abc@gmail.com, but then i make a mistake and send it to abc@gmaail.com (which domain does not exist/resolve by dns server). From this point, i want ESA to notify me if i make a mistake by sending bounce message immediately.

With my current ESA configuration, there is no bounce message immediately. ESA only send bounce message after 3 days when its already expired in message queue.

For SMTP call-ahead, isn't it only for verifying incoming mail ? or it can be used for outgoing mail ? anyway, our ESA is using LDAP query so i think that would be not necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: