Views
Helpful
Replies

wildcarded TLS certificates

bill rice
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 4 box cluster and wish to purchase a single certificate to enable TLS useage across all 4 hosts with 3rd parties. The appliances sit behind a load balancer and NAT between 2 MX records. I believe that a wildcarded certificate is required based on the host names of the appliances eg (*.example.corp), this would allow TLS connections across all 4 hosts.

My question is what are these certificates called and from who do I purchase them, Versign dont seem to provide such a cert or if they do it is on a wildcarded domain name rather than host name. Anybody able to help please.

1 Reply 1

Hello Bill,

You may want to contact support so we can go over this in a bit more detail. Your right a wildcard certificate is for a domain so I am not sure that this applies in your case.  Even though your appliances are in a cluster the certificates are going to be applied at machine level as they are defined by the system hostname. Centralized management (clustering) can make this a appear a bit confusing , but its actually not that bad. I would recommend contacting support so we can get you pointed in the right direction here.

Christopher C Smith

CSE
Cisco IronPort Customer Support