Views
Helpful
Replies

wildcarded TLS certificates

bill rice
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 4 box cluster and wish to purchase a single certificate to enable TLS useage across all 4 hosts with 3rd parties. The appliances sit behind a load balancer and NAT between 2 MX records. I believe that a wildcarded certificate is required based on the host names of the appliances eg (*.example.corp), this would allow TLS connections across all 4 hosts.

My question is what are these certificates called and from who do I purchase them, Versign dont seem to provide such a cert or if they do it is on a wildcarded domain name rather than host name. Anybody able to help please.

1 Reply 1

Hello Bill,

You may want to contact support so we can go over this in a bit more detail. Your right a wildcard certificate is for a domain so I am not sure that this applies in your case.  Even though your appliances are in a cluster the certificates are going to be applied at machine level as they are defined by the system hostname. Centralized management (clustering) can make this a appear a bit confusing , but its actually not that bad. I would recommend contacting support so we can get you pointed in the right direction here.

Christopher C Smith

CSE
Cisco IronPort Customer Support 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: