Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches for AMP4E

Jbuttle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

New to the forums, so thanks for taking time to read this.

Having a bit of a conundrum with installation of AMP4E. My boss and I have been discussing it and at first I thought I was correct but not I feel like he may have been all along.

Essentially, we have AMP deployed in our environment as well as Trend. Documentation has told me to disable TETRA if both are running in the environment. Which we have disabled, so no issues there.

Where I'm a bit confused is during the install process on an endpoint. Do we absolutely NEED to have the /skiptetra switch added to the install? Does having the driver installed cause performance issues on servers? This is something that can easily be overlooked. I had initially thought that having it disabled in policy was enough, but seeing all the "WARNING!" in various documentation from Cisco saying this needed to be included, I'm concerned we'll have to redeploy with switches included. Something I'd like to avoid if possible.

Something to take into account as well, I believe we're eventually going to go away from Trend and solely use AMP4E, which would mean eventually enabling TETRA across the board. I would like to ease out of the potential hot water I'm sitting in a advise my boss on the best course of action going forward. I'm still relatively new to AMP and have been overhauling everything to have a best practice standard. This is a gray area for me.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brmcmaho
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general -- with all the usual caveats about testing in your own environment to be sure (and that goes double for servers) -- we don't see many performance complaints related to having Tetra present, but not active in policy.  Any performance concerns are best worked as a support case with TAC.

If you do install with /skiptetra but later decide down the road, as you say you might, that you want to enable the Tetra engine, that would require a fresh reinstall (and reboot), so for that reason alone, I think you want to stick with the default install behavior whenever possible.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

brmcmaho
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general -- with all the usual caveats about testing in your own environment to be sure (and that goes double for servers) -- we don't see many performance complaints related to having Tetra present, but not active in policy.  Any performance concerns are best worked as a support case with TAC.

If you do install with /skiptetra but later decide down the road, as you say you might, that you want to enable the Tetra engine, that would require a fresh reinstall (and reboot), so for that reason alone, I think you want to stick with the default install behavior whenever possible.

@brmcmaho Thank you so much for your reply. This clears up a lot of headache for me going forward. I was concerned we would have to redeploy company wide. But seeing as we'll need the Tetra drivers installed anyway if we decide to move away from Trend, this will work out perfect. I'll be sure to pass this along to my superiors. Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: