Views
Helpful
Replies

FindIT: wrong warranty for WAP 561

Erwan LE BIHAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

find It is not correctly finding warranty status for Cisco AP WAP 561.

Warranty ends... 1972/1/1. A few month before my birth date.

9 Replies 9

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

My apologies for not replying earlier - I managed to miss this post in amongst the other traffic.

Anyway, yes, we are aware of this issue and working on it.  The root cause has to do with the way the dates are being handed off between two of the backend systems, and so it may take a little while to resolve properly.  This issue will generally only occur with devices that do not have a fixed end date to their warranty - i.e. devices with a lifetime warranty of some description.  If you are seeing this, you can check the exact conditions on the term of the warranty by going to http://www.cisco.com/go/warranty and looking for the warranty for the device in question.

Thanks for you patience while we resolve this, and I will update the thread when I have more solid information.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Has any progress been made on this warranty issue? I see SB products with lifetime warranties showing as "Warranty Expired" in various screen.

Regards, Adam

Hi Adam,

Indeed there has been progress, and I am expecting a fix for this problem to go in this weekend.  Unfortunately the problem is in the backend systems that manage ordering, warranties and maintenance for all of Cisco, so it has taken quite a while to get the fix scheduled.

Cheers,

Dave.

Good news. I notice that Cisco Active Advisor reports correctly, so it will be good not to have to explain the discrepancy :)

I hear you.  The data does actually come from the same place, but because it takes a different path through the IT systems, in practice, only FindIT is affected by the problem.

Hi David

What is unclear to me yet, is whether this 'fix' requires the installation of a new FindIT program; which I can't find as March-31-2016 is the latest release.

Or whether this 'fix' is in your back office systems only and should work with the current FindIT program; which it doesn't at the moment as I still get the 1972 dates in my overview.

It is purely a backoffice change - no change required in FindIT.

As for why you are still seeing the 1972 date, there are two reasons:

1. FindIT caches maintenance data for several days - a week I think though I would have to confirm with engineering.

2. The fix did not go in over the weekend due to it being bumped for a couple of unrelated critical changes.  The new date I have been given is Wednesday this week.

So to be clear, even once the fix is in, it could be several days before you see the change in the FindIT UI.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid the fix has been delayed again.  I'm hoping to have more for you in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi everyone,

The fix was deployed into production today, and so you should now see all those devices showing up with a valid warranty.  Note that FindIT does cache this data, so it may be a few days before the report updates on your machine.  The date will still look a little odd, since instead of 1972, the year is now 4072.  We will most likely update the next release of FindIT to interpret that date in a more user friendly way.  But for now at least, the warranty will show up as being current.

Cheers,
Dave.