cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

FindIT Stuck on "Initializing" Page

I have FindIT running in a VirtualBox VM (using the pre-built appliance from Cisco.com) on an iMac. 

Today when I try to access the FindIT interface through a web browser, I keep getting the "Initializing" message, and it never allows me to login to FindIT, even though FindIT has been running for hours.

How do I get past this to successfully login to FindIT? Do I need to keep rebooting the VM until it takes?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

That's certainly not expected behaviour.  Which version of FindIT did you download?  2.1.1?  Has this ever worked, or have you simply downloaded the VM image, loaded it in to VirtualBox, and been stuck at initializing ever since?

Cheers,

Dave.

Highlighted

It has worked before until this past week (I set this up back in March this year). I am able to successfully get the FindIT command line to load in VirtualBox. Is there a way I can run a command there to check for the version? Off the top of my head, I can't remember what version I have.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
Highlighted

The versions should be displayed as part of the banner you get after logging in to Linux.

So if it was working previously, did you change anything - change config, apply OS updates, or upgrade FindIT?  Having the screen sitting at Initializing constantly basically means the Manager application is not starting up properly.  If you haven't made any changes, then we need to have a look at the logs to see what is happening.  Logs are located in /var/log/findit/manager.  If you can zip up all the .log files in that directory and PM them to me, I can have a look for you.

Cheers,

Dave.

Highlighted

I'm attaching a picture of my current FindIT screen. How do I get to the logs so I can PM you the log files?

I haven't upgraded FindIT in a while. Not sure if it upgraded automatically. I probably need to upgrade it to Cisco Business Dashboard.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
Highlighted

Sorry, I meant the banner that appears after you log in.  If you have never logged in on the console before, then the credentials will still be the default username cisco with password cisco.  But most likely you logged in at least once when setting it up, so the password will be different.

To get the log files, you will need to log on to the console and package the directory up into some form of archive.  If you are not particularly familiar with Linux, then you can use the command 'tar czf finditlogs.tgz /var/log/findit'.  That will create a single archive file called finditlogs.tgz that contains the contents of the folder containing all the FindIT logs.  You can then copy the file off the manager using WinSCP or similar.  If you need some help getting this done, you can call the Cisco support team on the local phone number listed on https://cisco.com/go/sbsc.

Cheers,

Dave.

Highlighted

Sounds good. I will see what I need to do about this to get these log files. Thanks again!

Nathan Parker
Highlighted

Got the log files.

Nathan Parker
Highlighted

Hi Nathan,

Sorry to take a couple of days to get back to you on this.  I spoke to the TAC engineer handling your case yesterday, so he may have already asked you this question, but I wanted to ask whether you connected to each of the docker containers in the manager when doing updates and applied updates to the packages within the containers as well?  The log files are showing errors symptomatic of a known compatibility problem between later versions of RabbitMQ and the FindIT application, and right now the most plausible explanation is that you updated RabbitMQ.

Cheers,

Dave.

Highlighted

I believe the packages were updated on it. I'm in the process of running the update to Cisco Business Dashboard and will followup with you on the case you're communicating with the Cisco Engineer on. We can post the solution here as well once we know what resolves it in case anyone else here needs to know about this.

Nathan Parker