cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FindIT Stuck on "Initializing" Page

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

I have FindIT running in a VirtualBox VM (using the pre-built appliance from Cisco.com) on an iMac. 

Today when I try to access the FindIT interface through a web browser, I keep getting the "Initializing" message, and it never allows me to login to FindIT, even though FindIT has been running for hours.

How do I get past this to successfully login to FindIT? Do I need to keep rebooting the VM until it takes?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
22 Replies 22

Sounds good. I’ll send you the log files before I download and run the sh files.

Remind me again the quickest way to send you the log files? Do I need to tar them, then start SSH on the VM, then SFTP in and download the files? 

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

That's pretty much it.  You can get them from the System > Log Settings page if the application is running, but I don't want to lose the upgrade log, so we need to retrieve them before you manually run the sh file.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks! Do I need to run tar /var/log/findit/manager and do I need to add anything else to the command?

What was the start SSH command again? I can’t remember it off the top of my head.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

To start the ssh service, use the command 'sudo systemctl start ssh.service'.  To package up the files use something like the following:

sudo tar czf /home/cisco/logs.tgz /var/log/findit/manager/upgrade.log /var/log/findit/manager/nm-manager-web.log

sudo chown cisco:cisco /home/cisco/logs.tgz

The first command creates a logs.tgz archive in the cisco user's home directory containing the log files we are after.  The z option is simply there to compress the files.  I've suggested running it as root just because at different times in the past there were some permission settings that meant some of the files were only readable by root.  The second command is changing the own of the archive from root to cisco to make it easier to mange the file afterwards.

Cheers,

Dave.

Great. I will get these to you either later this week or this weekend. Thanks again!

Nathan Parker

Here's the latest update on this:

1. Bad news is I was unable to get any logs off of the VM. When I ran the commands, it couldn't find any logs to tar.

2. I was able to successfully re-run the updater script using the command line.

3. Other bad news is it's still stuck on "initializing" even after the update, and even after rebooting the host and the VM and having it sit for 12+ hours.

I've noticed the host I have this on is overall slow (I did some maintenance to it tonight, but it's still not perfect), and a VM of this spec doesn't run really well on it.

Is there a way I could move my Cisco Business Dashboard settings to a smaller embedded device such as a Raspberry Pi? I could pick up a Pi, connect it to the RV345 and either run it headless or connect it to my office TV long enough to set it up, then use that for Cisco Business Dashboard instead. It might be more reliable than attempting the VM route on such an old host.

Thanks again!

Nathan Parker

The dashboard application is not supported on the Raspberry Pi platform, only the probe is supported.  So that won't be an option.  I doubt that the PC is the root of the problem.  An underpowered CPU will affect the maximum number of devices you can manage but it shouldn't cause this behaviour.  I think there must be something about your VM image that is causing the update to consistently fail.  But rather than trying to troubleshoot by messaging back and forth, let's set up a webex session so we can troubleshoot directly on the box.  I'm sure that it will turn out to be something pretty straightforward in the end.  I am based in Australia, so a UTC+10 timezone.  How about you PM me with some times that might work for you and we'll set something up.

Cheers,

Dave.

Sounds great. Sent you a message with some info.

Nathan Parker
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: