Views
Helpful
Replies

Front panels not displaying in Port Management

hmcpl-its
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just upgraded to 2.0.1, and found that the credentials for some of the 9 switches at our Downtown site needed to be updated. Some had changed since we last looked at them, but some had not and simply had to have passwords re-entered. (Yes, curious.)

We can now see all of our switches in the List view, but only 5 of them in the Front Panel view -- and one of those doesn't display the front panel -- just the model & serial number.

I can't find anything that would help me troubleshoot this issue in the documentation, but may be looking in the entirely wrong place. The only thing that I see that is pertinent is the Note across the top of the Front Panel page that says "Only devices allowing port configuration will be shown below". However, I don't see anything in any of our switches that would prevent port config.

This worked fine in 2.0.0 and earlier.

Ideas on my next steps?

Aaron

4 Replies 4

hmcpl-its
Level 1
Level 1

Update: we've discovered that some of the missing front panels appear in Vivaldi and Chrome, but not Firefox (our default) nor Edge. We've purged our caches in FF, but see no change in behavior.

Hi Aaron,

Given the behaviour is different between browsers, there is almost certainly a software bug somewhere.  Can I get you to grab a screenshot of the problem and the exact browser version?  That will help us reproduce the issue.  Also, can I ask that you open a case with our support team.  Go to https://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc for a list of contact numbers and options.  By opening a case, that allows us to better track the problem and ensure it gets resolved quickly.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. We've not yet bought FindIT and support on our switches has lapsed, so we can't log a support ticket, as we were awaiting specific functionality (that is now available; PO forthcoming!)

Symptoms:

Only 4 of our switches fully display in the Front Panel view of Port Management. Additionally, (and probably a different problem), one switch only displays the descriptive text and no front panel view (I'll refer to this one, coreswxhub, as ½ a switch view.)

However, we've discovered yet another odd behavior. If we shrink the window to force scrolling on the rendered page, then scroll to the bottom of the page, the undisplayed switches suddenly become visible. We can then return to the full size screen and see all of the switches. Reloading the page resets the view to only 4-½ switches.

This behavior is consistent between all browsers tested: Firefox 70.0.1, Vivaldi 2.4.1488.36, Edge 44.18362.449.0, and Chrome 78.0.3904.97. Tested on both Windows 10 and macOS 10.15.2 (beta). (We do have one reported installation of Firefox 70.0.1 on Windows where it works properly.)

Screenshots:

First, Firefox, showing 4 front panels (and one description).

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 09.44.21.png

This is Vivaldi, doing the same.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 09.44.26.png

We shrink the window to force scrolling (in this example, Firefox).Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 09.44.37.png

Scroll down and all the front panels (except the first one, which is our coreswxhub unit which still renders text-only) display.Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 09.55.29.png

Restore the window size, and all the switches are still visible (nb: in this shot, the first switch with the text-only display has scrolled off the top of the page).

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 09.44.54.png

If you reload the page at this point, you're back to step 1 with only 4-½ switches displayed.

Ok, there are actually two separate problems here.

1. The coreswxhub switch showing the model info but no picture is a bug, and one that the team has already identified and fixed.  This will be available in the 2.1 release which should be available around February.  You will see this problem with any switch of that particular model.

2. The second issue where you only see the first few switches displayed until you do resizing is actually a UI design problem.  You should find that you can scroll down to see the additional switches without having to resize the browser.  But the UI does not really make that clear so it appears as if there are only a few switches available.  Can you check to make sure if this is actually what is happening for you?  In any case, we will see if we can make the UI a little more explicit in 2.1 as well, but I want to be sure there is not something else going on here.

Thanks,
Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: