Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with FindIT Network Probe and Raspbian

SergioE35
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B, 32GB space with Raspbian OS (Debian Buster-Sept 2019) installed, and I wanted to try the FindIT Network Probe software.

Here is the issue:

I want to confirm if the FindIT Probe installation was done properly,or if it is running, since I cannot access the GUI through the browser. Only the Nginx test web page is displayed.

I tried with Chromium, Firefox ESR from the Raspberry Pi, and Chrome from laptop.

Is there more detailed information or support available for working with Rasberry-Raspbian other than what is shown in "Cisco FindIT Network Manager & Probe Installation Guide for Linux" ?

Regards

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The current 2.0.0 installer for the RPi will only work on the stretch distribution.  There are a couple of changes in some of the libraries the probe depends on that means it can't operate on buster without changes to the probe as well.  Those changes are being made in our 2.0.1 release which should be posted to cisco.com in the next couple of days.  Once 2.0.1 is posted, you will see a separate installer for buster.

Cheers,

Dave.

SergioE35
Level 1
Level 1
Many thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I had to download a Stretch distribution to make it work.
I will keep an eye for the new version.

On a side note, while playing with the Probe, I tried to change the IP address settings to be static in "Platform Settings > IP Settings". For some reason, it doesn't save the changes in "IP Settings" after clicking Save, only "Time Settings" is saved.
I manually changed the IP address to static on RPi raspbian Stretch desktop before trying to change the IP Settings for the first time. I am not sure if it has something to do with the issue.
Regards

Actually, you appear to have found a bug.  The platform settings page is only intended for use on the Cisco-provided virtual machine images, as those are the only environments where we can be confident of making changes to the operating system without breaking something.  There should be logic in place to prevent the platform settings page from being available with the other deployment models, including with the Raspberry Pi.  I'll get engineering to check this and get it fixed.

So to be clear, any changes to IP settings, time setting, or hostname on a RPi should be done using the normal operating system tools.

Cheers,

Dave.

I just want to close the loop on this issue and also the original query.  Just confirming that the platform settings page being displayed on the Raspberry Pi is indeed a bug, and it will be fixed in our next major release - 2.1.  Also, on the original question about the different Raspbian distributions, our 2.0.1 release has just been posted, and that release includes an installer for the Buster distribution.

Cheers,

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: