Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Firepower software module to ASA 5515-X

hassan.nawaz111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'm planning to add Firepower module to ASA 5515-X/K9 & i need to know what are the required components to make it work?

Also i need to know if Firesight Management VM or appliance is required for managing the FPWR module or is it manageable by ASDM, if not then can we use FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 license ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Check if you have the SSD. ("show inventory")

2. If you don't, you need to order one. There is an upgrade bundle SKU which includes the SSD and the free (but required) Control license.

3. If you do have it, get the free Control license plus any licenses with term subscriptions that you want (IPS, URL Filtering and/or Malware).

4. You have the option of using FMC (preferred) or ASDM (works since 6.0 but has limited event analysis, reporting etc.). If you use FMC, the SKU you mentioned will work to manage 2 FirePOWER modules. Or you can use the new Smart Licensing enabled SKU "SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9". It can manage both Firepower and FTD devices.

View solution in original post

You're welcome.

Yes, that's the upgrade "kit" SKU. If the reseller enters that high level SKU in the Cisco ordering tool, the order validation process will prompt them to include all the necessary line items as part of the bundle.

If you buy the components separately you just need to tell your reseller that you need the Control license as well. The part number for it on an ASA 5515-X is ASA5515-CTRL-LIC.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Check if you have the SSD. ("show inventory")

2. If you don't, you need to order one. There is an upgrade bundle SKU which includes the SSD and the free (but required) Control license.

3. If you do have it, get the free Control license plus any licenses with term subscriptions that you want (IPS, URL Filtering and/or Malware).

4. You have the option of using FMC (preferred) or ASDM (works since 6.0 but has limited event analysis, reporting etc.). If you use FMC, the SKU you mentioned will work to manage 2 FirePOWER modules. Or you can use the new Smart Licensing enabled SKU "SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9". It can manage both Firepower and FTD devices.

Hello Marvin,

Thank you for replying, really appreciate your expertise,

i believe your talking about "ASA5515-FP-UPG".

can you please tell me if I'm buying required components separately like, "L-ASA5515-TAMC=", "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9", "ASA5500X-SSD120=", will the control license be included or i have to buy it separately & how can we buy the control license if its free of cost?

You're welcome.

Yes, that's the upgrade "kit" SKU. If the reseller enters that high level SKU in the Cisco ordering tool, the order validation process will prompt them to include all the necessary line items as part of the bundle.

If you buy the components separately you just need to tell your reseller that you need the Control license as well. The part number for it on an ASA 5515-X is ASA5515-CTRL-LIC.

Hello Marvin, 

Really appreciate your inputs, i was wondering something hope you can guide, will a 3rd party  ssd be compatible instead of Cisco ASA5500X-SSD120=, if so what are the recommended brands or model?

Well I don't know that there's any "secret sauce" Cisco adds to the commodity SSD they sell. For years people have used 3rd party CF cards to replace a failed disk0: in ASAs with no ill effects (as long as you don't buy them from a street vendor).

Technically the supported (and recommended) route is to use the genuine Cisco kit.

However... if you look at "show inventory" of an ASA with the "Cisco" SSD in it you will notice the following:

DESCR: "Micron 128 GB SSD MLC, Model Number: C400-MTFDDAC128MAM"

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that and decide whether you are comfortable with the potential risk vs savings of going third party.

hi marvin,

sorry for jumping on this thread. it showed up on my google.

i just want to ask if i can use third party SSD on an ASA 5525-x such as the one you mentioned.

i have a couple of 5525-x sitting idle and would like to use them for FP lab.

my question, is there a 'minimum' HDD space to use for SSD? i know FP upgrade/package is several GB and want to buy the cheapest in an electronic store.

is micron SSD brand will function smoothly with the ASAx? have you heard of other 'cheaper' SSD brands that worked with ASA? i want cheaper since the SSD will come from my personal pocket :)

I've never tried it but I wouldn't use any size other than what the ASA expects.

I see used Micron 128 GB SSD on Amazon for as low as US$49.99.

It's not the same as ASA with Firepower service module, but if you want to play around with Firepower you can run a virtual FTD image with 90 days evaluation license.

thanks for the tip! i'll just play with around virtual/FTD option. it's cheaper that way :)

Hi

I got a 5516-X without SSD hard drive. Cisco's hard drive is very expensive.

They use Micron C400 128G SSD

This is the model mentioned above - MTFDDAC128MAM - Which has AES-256 encryption but very difficult to find.

This model is available but does not have encryption AES-256 - MTFDDAK128MAM

I Have opened up one 5516-X that has the SSD hard drive and the model number on it is: MTFDDAK128MAM :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card