cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

amount of port sessions for PAT versus bandwidth usage

JMCNEL
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone please help me to make sure I understand port sessions for PAT correctly.

We currently have a 500 M for internet - our average usage over the last year was between 350 M to 450 M with now and then a spike to 500. We are increasing to 1 Gig for the internet.

Is it possible that since endpoints and end users create port sessions for PAT to the internet, that we could go larger than 1 Gig circuit and be able to utilize it since it would be like thousands of independent sessions and the sum of them could be larger than 1Gig if I dont see it in our internet bandwidth usage?

Or is the amount of port sessions for PAT nothing to do with the actual bandwidth we are using because 1 port session can download a large file versus another session could check email and use almost nothing

What is the correlation between the amount of port sessions for PAT and the actual bandwidth we are using?

examples of our current session for some PAT address 

show xlate global x.x.x.x = 27781, 15472, 2134, 15931

Bandwidth usage between 350 and 450

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if i were you. my best shot would be install a netflow and analysis the traffic pattern what going inside the network from in to out and from out to in.

I am not aware of any correction where you can map and find out what is going on. remember you network is dynamic. it increase interm of traffic and decrease according to the day usage.

i think the base line to draw is get a netflow get the visibility than you are in position to make a decision 

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

if i were you. my best shot would be install a netflow and analysis the traffic pattern what going inside the network from in to out and from out to in.

I am not aware of any correction where you can map and find out what is going on. remember you network is dynamic. it increase interm of traffic and decrease according to the day usage.

i think the base line to draw is get a netflow get the visibility than you are in position to make a decision 

please do not forget to rate.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card