Helpful
Replies

ASA configuration via ASDM Internal Group Policy Banner inheritance

Philippe4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently preparing the CCNA Security 210-260 [not a piece of cake :(  ]

I don't find any clear information regarding the inheritance source.

ie : From a created Group Policy,  the Banner option can be written (if Inherit is unticked), but if ticked, from where it could be inherited?

I didn't find anything from the Users configuration, neither from Connection Profiles.

Does the DftGrpPolicy override this, if its Banner field is filled?

And does it work in this manner, in general for all fields?

Values in DftGrpPolicy feed the created Group Policies when the Inherit option is ticked?

Many thanks to you for your help

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

not sure I understand correctly your question.
When it comes to VPN connection profiles, you have 2 choices:
- create their own Group Policy and you can decide to get all configuration inherited from the DftGrpPolicy or/and override some configs specifically for this connection profile attached to this group policy
- use the DftGrpPolicy for all your connection profiles.

Then if I understand correctly your question, if you keep the inherit option ticked, it will take configs from the DftGrpPolicy.
Let's take an example for split tunnel:
- you configure your split tunnel on your DftGrpPolicy
- you create a new connection profile and keep inherit option ticked then the split tunnel is coming from the value of DftGrpPolicy
- if you untick this option then you create you can override this value for this specific connection profile

Hope this is clear.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Hello Francesco,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I think it's clear now.

We can say that all parameters of created Group Policy with Inherit option are feed by the default group policy (DflGrpPolicy)

It's the reason why default group policy (and default connections profiles) can be modified but not deleted?

They are used in addition of created Group Policies and Connection Profiles?

Many Thanks

Philippe

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Philippe4 wrote:

<snip>

Values in DftGrpPolicy feed the created Group Policies when the Inherit option is ticked?

<snip>

That's correct.

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

not sure I understand correctly your question.
When it comes to VPN connection profiles, you have 2 choices:
- create their own Group Policy and you can decide to get all configuration inherited from the DftGrpPolicy or/and override some configs specifically for this connection profile attached to this group policy
- use the DftGrpPolicy for all your connection profiles.

Then if I understand correctly your question, if you keep the inherit option ticked, it will take configs from the DftGrpPolicy.
Let's take an example for split tunnel:
- you configure your split tunnel on your DftGrpPolicy
- you create a new connection profile and keep inherit option ticked then the split tunnel is coming from the value of DftGrpPolicy
- if you untick this option then you create you can override this value for this specific connection profile

Hope this is clear.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello Francesco,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I think it's clear now.

We can say that all parameters of created Group Policy with Inherit option are feed by the default group policy (DflGrpPolicy)

It's the reason why default group policy (and default connections profiles) can be modified but not deleted?

They are used in addition of created Group Policies and Connection Profiles?

Many Thanks

Philippe

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Philippe4 wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

That's correct.

Hello Marvin,

Thank's lot for your answer.

It's nice from you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card