cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA CX to FirePower Upgrade Kit - SSDs Required?

jwillard99
Level 4
Level 4

We have a customer that is using CX software on a HA pair of ASA 5512-X's. They want to upgrade to the FirePower IPS. There is an upgrade SKU (ASA5512-FP-UPG) that is an upgrade kit. Through CCW, when you customize the options on that SKU, you are directed to select the Control License, Subscription License, Hardware, and Management Center components to add the relevant SKUs to the top-level upgrade kit SKU.

The Hardware section requires the selection of ASA5500X-SSD120=, the 120GB SSD drive, and fails to validate within CCW if you do not include it. Since these 5512-X's are already running CX software and thus already have 120GB SSD drives installed, wouldn't this be unnecessary?

19 Replies 19

I'll try that. I have a 5506-x running 6 code with no issues but it wasn't an upgrade.

No difference.  I tried with the 5.4 image and get the same error.

show module sfr recover
Module sfr recover parameters...
Boot Recovery Image: No
Image File Path:     disk0:/asasfr-5500x-boot-5.4.1-211.img

sw-module module sfr recover boot

Storage device not found.  Install drive and try again.

It's almost like it thinks the SSD isn't there.

I tried loading the CX image back onto the unit and get the same thing.  I guess I need to open a TAC case.  I wonder if the SSD has failed.  It doesn't show up in show inventory.

show module cxsc recover
Module cxsc recover parameters...
Boot Recovery Image: No
Image File Path:     disk0:/asacx-5500x-boot-9.1.1-1-RelWithDebInfo.x86_64.img

sw-module module cxsc recover boot

Storage device not found.  Install drive and try again.

Oh yes - if it's not appearing in "show inventory" that definitely needs to be remedied first.

You might try a shutdown and reseat the SSD then power back up. If that doesn't cause the SSD to reappear, then it probably needs to be exchanged for a working one.

I did just that.  Shut it down, reseated the drive and now I'm able to recover the sfr.  Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card