Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup of FirePower management Backup & Managed Device Backup

subrun.jamil
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have a backup schedule set from  "FirePower Management BackUp". To my understanding this is doing scheduled backup for FMC with "Back Up Configuration" option ticked.  But question is what this file consist of  ? I mean which file they are backing up ? Which Config Files are being backup up by this Option ?

Also my FMC is redundant , so is it from Active FMC to Standby FMC backup files are replicated ? or this is local to Active FMC only ?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

An FMC backup back ups everything on the FMC - i.e. sufficient to restore from a factory fresh appliance.

Re backups in an HA environment, I'm not sure if local backup files are replicated between the HA members. I suspect not. It is best to backup to a remote file location in any case.

Since 6.3 we can optionally backup managed FTD devices as well. Prior to then, only classic Firepower devices (7000 and 8000 series) could be backed up to the FMC.

More details can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v64/backup_and_restore.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

An FMC backup back ups everything on the FMC - i.e. sufficient to restore from a factory fresh appliance.

Re backups in an HA environment, I'm not sure if local backup files are replicated between the HA members. I suspect not. It is best to backup to a remote file location in any case.

Since 6.3 we can optionally backup managed FTD devices as well. Prior to then, only classic Firepower devices (7000 and 8000 series) could be backed up to the FMC.

More details can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v64/backup_and_restore.html

Hi Marvin,

i want to ask, what excatly backup from the ftd? 

till 6.2 i was not possible to backup the nat , vpn, routing

is this possilble from 6.3?

Everything but the bits you setup during the initial bootstrap (management address, gateway, hostname, FMC registration etc.) is included in the backup. So if you ever have to RMA an appliance, just do the bare minimum setup on the new device and restore from the FMC backup once it's registered.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card