Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5505 Migration to FTD Firepower Device Manager

IamSamSaul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I want to migrate Cisco ASA 5505 to Cisco FTD with Firepower Device Manager (FDM). I know that you can use Cisco's Migration Tool if you are migrating to Cisco FTD with Firepower Management Center (FMC).

Is there any "easy" way to migrate from Cisco ASA 5505 to Cisco FTD with FDM? Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Sam 

5 Replies 5

Hi,
As you cannot use the migration tool when using FDM there aren't many options. You could potentially use API, but how much configuration is there to migrate from the ASA? It might be quicker just to re-build from scratch.

I'd suggest you deploy 6.4.0.4 as it's now the recommended release by Cisco.

HTH

Hi RJI, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Is it possible to add the Firepower 1010 temporarily to FMC in order to use the Migration tool and thereafter use FDM for management?

Thanks. 

Hi,
There is no way that I am aware of to migrate from FMC to FDM. When you change managers, between local and remote or vice versa, this erases device configuration and returns the system to the default configuration.

I agree with @Rob Ingram - just rebuild the configuration from scratch.

An ASA 5505 configuration is typically quite small and should not take more than a couple of hours to rebuild on an FDM-managed FTD device.

I'm having the same issue... Was able to use the FTD Migration tool to convert the ASA configs for my 1010s (via FMC). Acually deployed the configs to the 1010. Checked the 1010 via CLI (configs were there). De-registered the 1010 from the FMC.. Checked 1010 again (via CLI), configs still there. Deleted the FMC manager from the 1010... Configs still there. But once I tried to "config manager local"... It wipes out current config and goes back to the default config.. Which really sucks!!!! There's gotta be another (better) way, other than starting from scratch...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: