cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FirePower 4110 Fail to boot

kngitonga
Level 1
Level 1

I have this FirePower that continously power cycles am not sure what has failed I have tried software recovery but which worked but after reboot, It still power Cycled.

I cleaned the the file system as per cisco documentation with init system command now the bootflash is not accessible as shown below

switch(boot)# dir
Parameter contains one or more invalid characters (*$%&!~`)(|)
switch(boot)#

Software
kickstart: version 5.0(3)N2(4.31) [build 5.0(3)N2(4.31.164)]

kickstart image file is: [not present on supervisor]
kickstart compile time: 5/30/2019 16:00:00

Hardware
RAM 8268296 kB

bootflash: 125034840 kB

(none) kernel uptime is 0 days 3 hours 40 minute(s) 42 second(s)

switch(boot)#

switch(boot)# copy tftp://X.X.X.X/fxos-k9-system.5.0.3.N2.4.31.164.SPA bootflash:
Destination: error opening bootflash: Device unavailable or corrupted
switch(boot)#

Anyone encountered such an issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I actually fixed this issue: The problem was I skipped the FXOS upgrade path and hence was locking up the Hardisk:

I installed the previous FXOS version that shipped with the box and it immediately initialized the disk and cleaned it. I had FXOS 1.1(4.x) and wanted to go directly to FXOS 2.3(1.x) problem is you cant just jump direct:-

Installed the FXOS 1.1(4.x)with corresponding Kickstart,System and Manager Images the Followed the upgrade path:

FXOS 1.1(4.x)→ 2.0(1.135)→ 2.3(1.x) but during this process after upgrade you have to wait for about 20-30 mins for the Kernel to initialize,upgrade and activate: You can check this with

FP9300-A#scopefabric-interconnect a

FP9300-A/fabric-interconnect#show version

Act-Kern-Status:Ready

Act-Sys-Status:Ready

Make sure active kern-ans active sys are both ready from activating before reboot: In-fact the system automatically reboots when its fully activated.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fxos/fxos211/web-config/b_GUI_ConfigGuide_FXOS_211/troubleshooting.pdf

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go straight to a TAC case on this one.

Even if you manage to hack a fix to get it to boot I'd suspect the hardware and wouldn't rely on the device for production use.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

it seems like you console into a nexus switch. notice the device hostname is 'switch' and has a 'kickstart' bootstrap info.

can you confirm your console into FTD and NOT to a nexus switch?

for some weired reason this is the console output for the FXOS once you load the recommended Kickstart recovery image very similar to the NXOS..

Down under the covers there's an internal switch fabric that's inside the system (see diagram below). Depending on where you are in the initialization process or the cli tree, you may be at the "switch(boot)#" prompt. (Think of it as equivalent to rommon on some other platforms.)

FXOS is based on NX-OS which is in turn based on SAN-OS - the old operating system used by the MDS series SAN switches.

Firepower 4100 Series ArchitectureFirepower 4100 Series Architecture

@Marvin Rhoads Thank you for the insight on the Architecture..Have you experienced my issue and maybe have a way to resolve it? Whenever I try to load both system and manager images shows as I had posted..

NB: at that moment the drive is already initialized..

I haven't seen that particular error personally but it is similar enough to hardware issues on other platforms that, as I recommended initially:

"I'd go straight to a TAC case on this one."

I actually fixed this issue: The problem was I skipped the FXOS upgrade path and hence was locking up the Hardisk:

I installed the previous FXOS version that shipped with the box and it immediately initialized the disk and cleaned it. I had FXOS 1.1(4.x) and wanted to go directly to FXOS 2.3(1.x) problem is you cant just jump direct:-

Installed the FXOS 1.1(4.x)with corresponding Kickstart,System and Manager Images the Followed the upgrade path:

FXOS 1.1(4.x)→ 2.0(1.135)→ 2.3(1.x) but during this process after upgrade you have to wait for about 20-30 mins for the Kernel to initialize,upgrade and activate: You can check this with

FP9300-A#scopefabric-interconnect a

FP9300-A/fabric-interconnect#show version

Act-Kern-Status:Ready

Act-Sys-Status:Ready

Make sure active kern-ans active sys are both ready from activating before reboot: In-fact the system automatically reboots when its fully activated.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fxos/fxos211/web-config/b_GUI_ConfigGuide_FXOS_211/troubleshooting.pdf

Thanks for the update.

You hadn't mentioned in your original post that you had recently attempted FXOS upgrade. I guess that's why TAC asks "Have there been any recent changes?" when you open a ticket. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: