Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISA 3000 Upgrade Issues

PETER AGENGO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community, 

Has anyone encountered upgrade issues pertaining to the Cisco ISA 3000 on FTD code? Purchased several Cisco ISA 3000s with the 6.3.0 FTD code on them. Using FMC (which is on 6.4.0.1 code), I upgraded all of them to the 6.3.0.3 patch code first. The upgrade to 6.3.0.3 code went well without a hitch. I then started the upgrade to 6.4.0 code. Some of the devices upgraded just fine and then came back online after their reboots. However, I have encountered some that do not recover after an upgrade and had to have someone onsite do a hard reset/or reboot twice or three times before the device comes back online with the proper code and the correct configurations. Another upgrade from 6.4.0 code to 6.4.0.1 patch code yields the same results - someone again had to do a reset either twice or three times. 

I was able to replicate this even in my lab and saw the exact same issue. The appliance would reload itself just fine then get stuck at the either the countdown for launching FTD or right after it has verified the FTD code's signature.

Sample output below........

Boot in 10 seconds. Boot in 9 seconds. Boot in 8 seconds. Boot in 7 seconds. Boot in 6 seconds. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A couple got stuck during the countown or after the output below

Attempt autoboot: "boot disk0:/os.img"

Located 'os.img' @ cluster 146318.

################################################################
#########################################################

LFBFF signature verified.   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Couple would get stuck here

This is proving to be very frustrating and was wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this and what they did to resolve the issue. 

I have a case open with Cisco TAC. They are are replicating the issue in their lab and we shall see what they come back with. 

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like a bug. the ISA 3000 is definitely supported with 6.3 and 6.4.x code. I doubt many people have deployed them with those release just yet so you may be an early adopter and hitting bugs not seen in testing.

Please keep us updated with what TAC finds out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: