Views
Helpful
Replies

Directional Impact 1 events - IPS tuning

evan.chadwick1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

When Firepower IPS picks up a bad attempt from the internet inbound it blocks it and sends an impact 1 event to my alerting. I typically do not need to action much for such blocked situations.

I'd like to set my alerting up for the other direction. My internal source tries to send back to a known bad destination or with a known bad signature and it gets blocked. I typically do want to run a scan on this host. 

Anyone have success to create alerts in this fashion?

I was thinking a correlation rule that defines internal sources and impact 1 events that also has a negative on the external interface.

3 Replies 3

Hi Evan,

i agree with you correlation rule can keep the track of this however you need to setup the alerting and remediation rules.

Thanks

please do not forget to rate.

thanks for the reply. 

Yeah I just set the email alert from the Polcy Mgmt tab (explaining in full for other peoples benefit). I intend the scan to be done by the internal IT team, not FMC. I had't thought the FMC would be overly useful to do the scan. 

Now to test the rule, i've tried:

1/ obtaining bad ip addresses from current events from Security intelligence and browsing to them from an internal host (fmc just lets it go through with no issues = surprising)

2/ obtaining ip addresses from high impact1 events from outside to inside. Browsing to these from an internal host also results in FMc letting it go through = surprising. zscaler proxy is in use onsite, so I also do a telnet test, telnet x.x.x.x 443. I"ll ask a person to disable the proxy and repeat this test.

any other ideas for confirming the rule/alert works?

Alerting and remediation via correlation ?

I turned off all Alerting via the inbuilt alerting and only alert via Correlation.

Cisco have not allowed for the product to accomodate a high use of Guest Wifi Networks that a Client might want to 'protect' but NEVER hear anything about.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card