cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower (1010) Topology

Bob33
Level 1
Level 1

The installation manual suggests to connect the firewall in between the modem and the router. In my case the ISP has combined that in one device. Do I now connect it before the modem/router or after?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should be between your network and that of your provider.

Your network > Firepower > Provider equipment

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should be between your network and that of your provider.

Your network > Firepower > Provider equipment

Thank you for your reply, and it indeed sounds obvious, but would imply that the devices connected to the (also) build in wireless acces point would be outside of the safety of the firewall. Correct?

Current situation:

ISP entrance > ISP supplied modem/router/wireless_acces_point > My network (switch)

You say:

ISP entrance > ISP supplied modem/router/wireless_acces_point > Firepower > My network (switch)

instead of,

ISP entrance > Firepower > ISP supplied modem/router/wireless_acces_point > My network (switch)

Correct?

Ah you hadn't mentioned earlier that your ISP device is also the WAP.

Often you cannot put anything between the ISP device and the entrance as they restrict the directly connected device to those which they provide. However each ISP's policy on this varies - you would have to contact them to see if it is possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card