Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 2110 firewall smart license activation issue

We have activated smart account with cisco & received token from Cisco but when trying to register in our firewall getting error (The device is unable to connect smart license server).

In our case firepower 2110 firewall evaluation period got expired and now could not able to configured anything in firewall. So could not able to configured interface to provide internet connection in firewall.

Please suggest how to register and activate firewall with cisco.

Please find attached error screenshot for your reference.

6 Replies 6

alex_dufresne
Level 1
Level 1

I've never hit a trial expiry issue before, but one would have to assume that you're not permitting your firewall to contact outside https/dns... 

Since you cannot change the configuration, can you try a simple backup (on your current expired firewall), restore factory defaults, then apply the license, then restore your previous configuration? That's the most logical way of doing it.

Your customer should be prepared for downtime, if they let the licensing expire on their firewall..

I agree with @alex_dufresne - wipe it and start over.

Thanks for reply.

Could you please suggest how to do factory reset again.

and if we restore backup then will the smart license also get overwrite with old. or once I will activate smart license and restore the existing backup. Smart license will not get affected and it will be registered and activated.

Thanks for reply.

Could you please suggest how to do factory reset again.

and if we restore backup then will the smart license also get overwrite with old. or once I will activate smart license and restore the existing backup. Smart license will not get affected and it will be registered and activated.

Factory reset can be done following this procedure:

https://ciscoskills.net/2017/12/01/factory-reset-firepower-2100/

However I would strongly suggest opening a TAC case. The engineer can work with you in real time to ensure that you get to the licensed status you desire.

As long as Smart Licensing is used, you cannot really "overwrite" licenses, as there is nothing to overwrite.
Simply unregister any unused licenses from the Smart Licensing Portal on software.cisco.com, then register the new ones with the activation token that you generate.
Since this is a trial, there's really nothing to overwrite here.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card