Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC FTD - how? from ex-ASA

J_Vansen_S
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All, 

It is our first time deploying FTD+FMC. Coming from years of  ASA deployment experience i am getting very frustrated  on how difficult this change is, does anyone else thinks that way?

How do i do a simple ping/connectivity test from the GUI of the FMC? 

I know i can do that by login into the FTD CLI, but that is not quite the way for me to do basic troubleshooting. 

Or how  do i do a packet tracing path like ASA  Gui?

In terms of ACL. Do  i group all of my basic L3 deny/allow subnets/ports acl together with all L7 rules, it is such a mess.

If i have 10-15 interfaces on my FTD, with 5-10 rules(l3+l7 rules) the access policy page is a big  gigantic mess. Someone please enlighten me, or what is ur way of doing it.

I  am tempted to re-image the whole FTD to  ASA image since im using 2100firepower, if i am  not getting the hang of this   mess!

Appreciate any help. 

2 Replies 2

socratesp1980
Level 1
Level 1

How do I do a simple ping/connectivity test from the GUI of the FMC?

Devices --> Device Management -->click on the tools next to the FW --> Advanced Troubleshooting --> Threat Defence CLI This performs a ping command from the Threat Defence appliance, not the FMC.

How do I do a packet tracing path like ASA Gui?

Next tab packet tracer you may check the Capture w/Trace

Someone, please enlighten me, or what is ur way of doing it.

I am using rule categories based on the use of each ACL.

Hope all these helps. I know it is a bit confusing at first but give it some time. 

Thanks for your input!

Someone, please enlighten me, or what is ur way of doing it.
I am using rule categories based on the use of each ACL.

Do you use pre-filter, for all ur L3 rules?
As i understand, pre-filter is the ASA equivalent of doing L3 ACL, so it doesnt send it to inspect engine that hogs up more resources for L4-L7 inspection
Then again, if u work with the pre-filter page, there is no option to create category/interface segmentation which is really messy. I had to differentiate my rules using its rule name to group them together
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card