Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD Lincesing

Fantas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How to confirm if FMC licenses are expired.

I needs to check both Smart  and Classic Licenses.

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Classic licenses for the Firepower Management Center itself are not term licenses and never expire. FMC Smart licenses can be either demo (90 days) or perpetual (no expiration).

For managed devices (not FMC), Classic licenses show up on the FMC page under System > Licenses > Classic Licenses.

On FMC, smart licenses will only show as authorized and registered. Details of smart licenses for all devices can be seen in your organization's portal at software.cisco.com. There go to License > Smart Software License. then go to Inventory > Licenses. Click on the license of interest to see details including its expiration date.

Thanks for your response. Yes Its clear to me now.

Is there any reason we get out of compliance on FMC for smart licenses.

Is there any bug we have FTD 2100 series and FMC running with 6.4 version but Its free but getting out of compliance for smart licenses.

Do we need licenses for FMC If we are running FTD 2100.

Are you running FMCv? If so, the FMC itself does require a provisioned smart license.

What does your portal at software.cisco.com show you?

Hi,

Yes we have vFMC running but FMC incense should be free right So what I can see If we have FTD are under 2100 then we dont needs licenses and If we have FTD 2100 and above then we needs Smart Licenses to Manage FTD.

So the reason we are getting out of compliance because we are using FTD2100 and managing it through vFMC through smart Licenses.

My  access to licensing server is still being arranged by account team

Virtual FMC is NOT free.

It requires a smart license if is going to manage any devices that also use smart license (i.e., an FTD device on any hardware platform (Firepower or ASA) or even virtual FTD appliance).

It requires a classic license for classic devices (NGIPS or ASA Firepower service module).

Either way you have to have purchased and licensed it.

Thanks,

Is there any difference of FMC licenses.

If we manage FTD2100, what type of smart licenses we should have on FMC

If we have FTD below 2100, what type of smart licensees we have on FMC

As I already mentioned:

It requires a smart license if is going to manage any devices that also use smart license (i.e., an FTD device on any hardware platform (Firepower or ASA) or even virtual FTD appliance).

It requires a classic license for classic devices (NGIPS or ASA Firepower service module).

Those are the important distinctions, not model number of the managed device(s).

Furthermore, an FMCv (virtual appliance) should be licensed for 2, 10 or unlimited devices. This does not show up in the license portal but only on your sales order. An FMC hardware appliance does not have this restriction.

Thanks for your replies

I will check, we might need to buy smart licenses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card