cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to rename a source fire hostname in Cisco ASA5508-X

Alexvue
Level 1
Level 1

I've three Cisco ASA5508-X with firepower. I want to know how to change the hostname int he SFR module? what is the command to change the SFR hostname to a new name and how can I change it with ASDM? Do I have to reboot after the name change?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Moved this thread from the incorrect API sub-forum to the correct one (Firepower / FireSIGHT System).

FMC changes would not be appropriate as the original post indicated he is managing his module with ASDM. Also, the name in FMC Device Management is locally significant to FMC and changing it does not represent a policy change that is deployed to any managed sensor.

To change the hostname of the ASA FirePOWER service module, one would have to do that from the module cli itself. That bit of the configuration is not exposed via the ASDM GUI.

Here's the relevant command:

Cisco Fire Linux OS v6.2.0 (build 42)
Cisco ASA5515 v6.2.0.2 (build 51)
> configure network hostname

configure network hostname <hostname>
Set the hostname

hostname Fully qualified hostname

>

View solution in original post

The connection between FMC and its managed sensors is linked to their respective IP addresses.

Only if you were to change the IP address of a managed sensor would you need to remove and re-add from the FMC side. Similarly from the sensor side you would only need to "configure managers remove" and "configure managers add" if the IP address of the FMC changed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

pdemeyerhlc
Level 1
Level 1

You can do this from the FMC under Devices and Device Management select your device to rename click edit, and then select the Device tab. The first section click on the edit pencil and you should be able to rename the device. Dont forget to save and apply.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Moved this thread from the incorrect API sub-forum to the correct one (Firepower / FireSIGHT System).

FMC changes would not be appropriate as the original post indicated he is managing his module with ASDM. Also, the name in FMC Device Management is locally significant to FMC and changing it does not represent a policy change that is deployed to any managed sensor.

To change the hostname of the ASA FirePOWER service module, one would have to do that from the module cli itself. That bit of the configuration is not exposed via the ASDM GUI.

Here's the relevant command:

Cisco Fire Linux OS v6.2.0 (build 42)
Cisco ASA5515 v6.2.0.2 (build 51)
> configure network hostname

configure network hostname <hostname>
Set the hostname

hostname Fully qualified hostname

>

Wouldnt that also force you to remove the device from FMC and then re-add? or would you also have the make the FMC change separately?

The connection between FMC and its managed sensors is linked to their respective IP addresses.

Only if you were to change the IP address of a managed sensor would you need to remove and re-add from the FMC side. Similarly from the sensor side you would only need to "configure managers remove" and "configure managers add" if the IP address of the FMC changed.

this not may be always true 

I have been using FQDN  on the sensor side while I am register to the FMC 

even I started using management ip address as dhcp  and FTD find its way home lol 

Quick and Helpful. This was not immediately visible in ? (Help) in SFR CLI. Thanks.

Vishnu_RR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have the FMC 2600 physical appliance. i changed host name in GUI but same name not replicated in CLI. do i need to change in CLI also? If it is like that, how to change host name in CLI of FMC.

Thanks you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: